Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sloppy Joe

How cute is this book?! I really adored the character of Joe and all his messiness, wanting only to hug and squeeze him when he gave being neat a go. The illustrations are great and the plot funny and definitely giggle-worthy!

Author Dave Keane and illustrator Denise Brunkus have created a truly adorable story about Joe, a little boy that is just plain sloppy. He gets gum stuck in his hair, loses his lizard in his messy bedroom (and the lizard's crickets), and his great at slurping and slouching. After he gets in trouble, yet again, for something sloppy he has done, Joe makes up his mind to become "Neat Joe." By cleaning his room, setting the table, and finding the lizard's lost crickets, Joe is convinced that being neat isn't so hard...until his family comes down with the flu and it's up to Joe to take care of them. Sloppy just may be what Joe is best at!

The illustrations really stand out, the colors being bright and vibrant and the drawings realistically done. I'm not sure if it's just because I got an ARC of this, rather than a finished book, but less than have of the illustrations were done in color and I'm definitely crossing my fingers that when the finished copy comes out they are all colored in.

Great for a read aloud kids will be chuckling along with you as you read about Sloppy Joe's antics. Absolutely adorable!

To read more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

Sloppy Joe
Dave Keane
32pages
Picture Book
HarperCollins
9780061710209
June 2009

2 comments:

Laughing Stars said...

This looks like a really cute book. I love the catchy cover illustration.

Steph
http://starkravingbibliophile.blogspot.com/

Becky said...

Hi! I wanted to let you know that I've started a mini-challenge for this summer. Summer Studies asks participants to choose one gospel to study over the summer. I hope you can join in. And if you do, I'd love for you to spread the word among your friends. :)