Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Some easy reader favorites

The easy reader genre is not one that I get to work with a lot. They don't make great story time read alouds, just because of their length, and I don't have any children/nieces or nephews of the easy reader age group. I do, however, have some favorites that I've reviewed and plan to keep around until until I do have a little one of my own to share them with.

Those would be:

The "Houndsley and Catina" books, written by James Howe and illustrated by Marie Louise Gay. My favorite is probably Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time, but a new one, Plink and Plunk, just came out and is also really cute.

Houndsley is a cute hound dog and his best friend Catina is an adorable cat. Together they help to exhibit kindness, understanding, and friendship, with some great giggles thrown in. They're great starter books for new readers and younger kids will love the illustrations, making them a pretty all-around-good book series.

Of course, I just HAVE to mention the "Elephant & Piggie" books by Mo Willems. I've reviewed several on this blog and a new one came out recently, Watch Me Throw the Ball. These books are just hilarious...the best part probably being the expressions drawn on the faces of both Elephant and Piggie when something doesn't go their way.

You have to be a great storyteller to get your kids to understand the sarcastic undertones and subtle humor, but when when they do get it, it's SO worth it. Love these!

Finally, infamous Diane deGroat has great easy reader books featuring Gilbert the opposum, the latest being Gilbert, the Surfer Dude. I love deGroat's illustrations and her plots are also cute, but not "cutesy" appealing to both boys and girls.

Gilbert is another of those super-positive book characters, like Arthur or Biscuit, that kids love to see in a series and these easy readers are the perfect format to continue to exhibit Gilbert adventures.

To learn more about any of these titles, or to purchase, click on the book covers above to link to Amazon.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Why infamous? Just curious, I'm not really familiar with deGroat. Oh, and I read Elephant and Piggie Watch me throw the ball to almost all my summer reading school visit classes - from kindergarten through 6th grade - and they LOVED it!

Amanda said...

Really? You've never heard of Diana DeGroat? She's fabulous, you should definitely check her out...she has the whole series of Gilbert and Friends, which are all cute read alouds, all incredibly popular at our library!

Jennifer said...

Well, yes I've heard of her, although not of that particular easy reader series which I will look into right away (-:) I was just wondering why you called her infamous.

I've spent the last hour signing pizza coupons and answering increasingly strange questions and I'm in a vaguely curious mood.