Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Moment Between (adult review)

I know I've said it before with the review of her previous two novels, After the Leaves Fall and Summer Snow, but I LOVE Nicole Baart. She writes with such description and personality that I'm always left in whatever location she has placed her characters, feeling an actually friendship or kinship with them and am always so sad when I finish the last page. She is most definitely one of those authors that I just wish could write faster, always keeping a book in my hand and those characters in my mind, but alas, I do suppose she's only human like the rest of us.

The Moment Between is Baart's latest and thought slightly "different" than her previous two books, both in location and definitely in the intensity of the read, it was again, absolutely wonderful. The reader is brought to beautiful British Columbia, deep into wine country, following the main character, Abigail Bennett on her quest for knowing. Abigail wants nothing more than to find Tyler Kamp, the man she believes is responsible for the death of her sister, a woman that was already on a path of complete destruction before she met Tyler.

Abigail's "mission" is quite obviously an obsession, bringing her into a new country, giving her a new job working at a local winery, and forcing her to omit her real reasons for being there, in order to keep her relationship with her sister a secret. As Abigail is immersed with new people, wine, beauty, and this risky obsession, the reader also learns of her past with her sister, her family, and the reason she still feels the need to stand up for the sibling that is no longer alive.

Baart has this unique ability to write with such description that the reader really does feel as if he or she is there, in the moment. You will feel so strongly for Abigail, you will want to shake her at times and sometimes you just want to hug her, or drink a glass of wine with her. And believe me, the descriptions of British Columbia will leave you needing to take a vacation, fairly immediately. I've already informed my husband that the next vacation we take will be there!

This is a rather intense read, sad at times, and other times you will be filled with love...for siblings, for travel, for work, for love. The Moment Between was wonderfully breathtaking.

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

The Moment Between
Nicole Baart
384 pages
Adult fiction
Tyndale House
9781414323220
April 2009

3 comments:

ANovelMenagerie said...

Sounds like a good book. But, I kept thinking... is it a naughty book because it said "adult review". Then, I went to your site and remembered, oh yeah... she's mainly YA/children's. I'm such a moron!

sheri

Amanda said...

HAHA...maybe I should reword that somehow!!

Anna said...

Glad to hear you liked this one. I won it in giveaway not too long ago, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric