Monday, July 13, 2009

Non-Fiction Monday: Frog Scientist

8If you read my blog often and you see my weekly Non-Fiction Monday posts, you'll notice that I most often feature books with wonderful photography. With young kids and non-fiction, in my own experience, the books are more likely to be picked up and enjoyed if they feature awesome pictures with simple, easy-to-read, informative text. This week, the book I'm featuring is another of those wonderful, necessary combinations, with some of the coolest photographs I've seen, and a very nicely written, educational format.

The Frog Scientist, part of the "Scientists in the Field" series put out by Houghton Mifflin, is written by Pamela S. Turner, with photographs by the very talented Andy Comins. In it, we follow Tyrone, a graduate student, around the world as he attempts to solve the mystery of why frogs are dying everywhere and being born malformed.

The reader not only gets an insider's glimpse into a very cool, unique topic, he or she is treated to some incredibly impressive photographs of frogs and landscapes, as well as backstory on Tyrone's life and experiences. I was very pleased with this title, as I have been with all of the "Scientists in the Field" books I've come across.

This would be a fantastic choice for a school library, both middle and high school, as well as for a homeschooling science unit. A great book!

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover to link to Amazon.

The Frog Scientist
Pamela S. Turner
64 pages
Houghton Mifflin
July 2009


The Wild About Writing Trio said...

This sounds like a great book. My son is into frogs these days and would probably enjoy this one. Thank you for sharing.


Jeane said...

It looks like a really cool book. My kid found a frog in our garden and has been asking questions about them. I should get a book like this to read to her. I love animal science books with great photos.

Angie said...

That looks like a great book for kids - actually I probably need to read a book like that too since I seem to have forgotten about 90% of what I learned in school.