Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Last Olympian (mg/ya review)

Before actually sitting down and writing this review (well...really...mini-review), I had to figure out just why it took me so long to actually write it. I went out and bought the book the day it came out, read it the next day, and this was way back in May, so what in the world was I doing? I think that I really just did not want the Percy Jackson series (much like HP and the whole Bella/Edward saga) to end and maybe delaying my write-up of the last book in the series would ultimately delay the finality of that last book. Did it? No. It still stinks that my demi-God friends are finished and darnit, I wish the series could have gone on for at least a few more!

I'm not going to do an intense plot write-up, mainly because lots of you already have and you don't need another plot synopsis. However, I do want to let you in on some of my thoughts, regarding author Rick Riordan's, The Last Olympian, Percy Jackson's final "hurrah!"

The explanation of Greek mythology is highly present, as it has been in all the other books, and I really love how it is incorporated into everyday actions, activities, and conversations, like it's just the norm. The method of doing that makes it more believable and ultimately more fun for the reader. We also get a bit more "romancy-ness" (I just made that up and think it fits just fine thank-you-very-much), as the characters have obviously gotten older and it's a realistic part of their crazy lives now. Not too much to push away boy readers, just enough to feel like a real teenage experience.

The sense of humor of the author definitely shines through, as you can see from the very first pages. Even when the characters are in mortal danger, they're all still being funny and sarcastic. Loved that. And though I won't spoil anything for those few of you that haven't read the book yet, all of your questions (and Percy's) will be answered, in a very nice, tied together ending. I was, once again, overly impressed with the offering of Riordan and can't wait to see what he can come up with next. He truly has a great talent for producing excellent children's books.

If you haven't read any of the Jackson books, go get them immediately. If you just haven't read this one, because you're putting off finishing a great series, go get it anyways, you'll be bummed it's over, but the book is worth it.

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

The Last Olympian
Rick Riordan
400 pages
Middle Grade
Disney Hyperion
9781423101475
May 2009

1 comment:

Laughing Stars said...

This series is one of my son's and my favorites. We bought this one, but we haven't started it yet. Thanks for the review!

http://starkravingbibliophile.blogspot.com/