Friday, August 21, 2009

The Miles Between (YA review)

I, along with everyone else, loved The Adoration of Jenna Fox. I also had a teeny bit of fear for the author, putting out this novel following such a huge popularity rating of Jenna Fox. Not worried that the book wouldn't be good, but worried that it wouldn't be AS good as the previous one and she would end up getting flack for that. No worries any longer, I think I loved The Miles Between even more than I loved Jenna Fox! It's quirky, had me totally scratching my head a couple of times, chuckling when I wasn't head scratching, and is just a whole lot of good fun, mixed with what I have deemed "necessary drama."

Destiny Faraday only wants one thing from her life. A fair day. She has been dealt a pretty raw deal in life, having to move from boarding school to boarding school, because of parents that don't want to take care of her, never making close friends, and always sticking to a routine. After a meeting in the school garden with a mysterious stranger, Destiny finds a car at her disposal and along with three classmates, takes a very unconventional road trip.

What happens along the way is anything but unexpected. Sure, the teens get to know more about each other, but what they don't expect is that the fair day they each deserve is really taking place. This quirky road trip includes a lamb in the middle of the road, a meeting with the President of the United States in a bathroom, and unlimited money in the glove box. And what Destiny is finally is able to reveal to her newfound friends will be a surprise to everyone.

Ok, so I did figure out the ending of the book by about 1/2 way through, but so what? This was an awesome story with a unique plot and enough zany and crazy twists that "page turner" doesn't even begin to describe it. I loved it and am insisting you put it on your TBR list. Mary E. Pearson has made my list of favorite authors, for sure.

My one complaint? The cover. I was reading from an ARC (and we all know those are subject to change in lots of ways), but I really liked the cover. And now, the finished cover according to Amazon is kinda boring to me. It reminds me of the movie version of Holes. I really don't like the yellow bubble letters either, it makes it look somewhat childish. My own opinion is wishing they stuck with their original cover, which was strange and quirky, as the plot very much is. Anyways, the book is great, so the cover doesn't really matter right?

Thank you to Henry Holt for the review copy :)

To learn more about this one or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

The Miles Between
Mary E. Pearson
288 pages
Young Adult
Henry Holt
September 2009


carolinestarr said...

Amanda, Just wanted to thank you for introducing me to Love, Aubrey. I've been listening to it on CD this week and am so touched by the respectful, tender approach Suzanne LaFleur has taken with the character Aubrey. I'll be back for more recommendations!

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I'm glad that you loved it! I loved "The Adoration of Jenna Fox" and can't wait to read this one, too. I haven't seen the ARC cover, but I know that I don't really like this one. After The Adoration's beautiful cover, it can't compare!