Friday, September 18, 2009

Another Faust (ya review)

Awww shucks...high hopes for this one. Brother and sister Daniel and Dina Nayeri write a novel with an intriguing cover and super interesting description? Awesome. And maybe my hopes are still high...for someone to explain this book to me. Please? Anyone?

Product description:
"One night, in cities all across Europe, five children vanish — only to appear, years later, at an exclusive New York party with a strange and elegant governess. Rumor and mystery follow the Faust teenagers to the city’s most prestigious high school, where they soar to suspicious heights with the help of their benefactor’s extraordinary "gifts." But as the students claw their way up — reading minds, erasing scenes, stopping time, stealing power, seducing with artificial beauty — they start to suffer the side effects of their own addictions. And as they make further deals with the devil, they uncover secrets more shocking than their most unforgivable sins. At once chilling and wickedly satirical, this contemporary re-imagining of the Faustian bargain is a compelling tale of ambition, consequences, and ultimate redemption."

Ok, so this book starts out very cool. Yes, there are a bunch of odd kids, we've read that all before, but from page one the whole feeling of the plot and characters is somewhat of a different vibe, which I really liked. Unfortunately, my intrigue into where the story was going slowly turned into confusion and frustration.

In the first chapter or two, I was a little confused, but I suppose that's to be expected in the beginning of book, so I let it pass and kept on going. And then I fell into a pit of confusion. I didn't understand what was going on, who was doing what to whom, and where the story was supposed to be leading.

Am I alone in this? Anyone else a bit put off by the mysterious nature of the information actually given throughout the novel? Can anyone explain it to me? I get the Faustian bargain part, but the rest, I was lost on. I really wanted to like it...

Another Faust
Daniel and Dina Nayeri
400 pages
Young Adult fiction
Candlewick
9780763637071
August 2009

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awww, this sounded good to me too. Fortunately I hadn't ordered it yet, so it looks like I'll be getting something else. The umpteenth volume of a-list or something...

Amanda said...

Well Jennifer, you should still try to read it! Then maybe YOU can unclog my confused brain :)

Bethany Grace said...

Is it just me, or does their description sounds a little bit like a remixed vampire....they have the all the abilities and moral conflicts without having to deal witht the "we drink blood" side.

Kailana said...

I thought this book sounded really good, too. Sad to hear it didn't work for you!

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I agree, this sounds good! It's sad it didn't work for you. I'd still give it a try though, I am too curious about it to let is pass!

Janssen said...

This book totally didn't do it for me. Such a good premise, but too weird.