Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ash (YA review)

I've been reading reviews all over the blogosphere on Ash, written by Malinda Lo and was so glad to finally get to it myself. The concept of a reworked Cinderella story was incredibly intriguing, as was the unique idea of the main character falling in love with a woman, instead of a handsome prince, as our typical fairy tales go. A very refreshing concept!

Jacket description:

"Pushed into indentured servitude for her stepmother in the City to pay off her father's debts, Ash is consumed with grief. She misses her family and her happy life at the edge of the Wood where old magic used to linger in the air like fairy breath. Her only joy comes from the brief, stolen walks in the woods with the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean. Ash's single, unspoken hope is that someday he might steal her away, as fairies are said to do.

But on the day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King's Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, from Kaisa she learns the art of the hunt, how to ride and track. Their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, but it grows and changes, and with it, Ash reawakens her capacity for love-and her desire to live."

Though I really loved the Ash/Kaisa dynamic, the rest of the plot fell short for me. I felt the storyline moved very slowly and the intertwining of the fairy world/Sidhean dilemma, with the real world/Kaisa dilemma, was almost too much for this one book. I could see almost two plots, rather than one, though only featuring a single main character.

Ash, was a powerful character, first in grief, then in determination to live and be happy and Kaisa was incredibly refreshing as a character. Melinda Lo definitely pulled me in with her characters, I just wasn't feeling the overall story.

Love, love, love the cover! The story will appeal to fantasy fans and those enjoying fairy tales and the like.

Thank you to Little, Brown for the review copy :)

Malinda Lo
272 pages
Young Adult
Little, Brown
September 2009


Debi said...

Sorry this one was a bit disappointing for you, Amanda! I've been seeing this one floating around out there, but I have to admit this was the first time I've taken the time read a review. I do love fairy tale retellings, so maybe I'll have to give it a try sometime anyway. Thanks for the honest review, Amanda.

Kailana said...

I am sorry to hear that this is not meeting peoples' expectations... I might have to see if the library will buy it instead of splurging on a copy myself. Thanks for the review!

And, yes, believe it or not I do still read your blog. Sorry I am not a regular commenter anymore!

Melissa said...

I've been eyeing this one but hadn't really felt compelled to read it. Think I'll stay away from this one a little longer, or just check it out from the library if I decide to read it. Thanks for the great review!

Amanda said...

Debi, you should definitely give it a try! You may love it!

Kailana, no problem...I have been really bad at leaving comments lately too!

Melissa, you are definitely welcome for the review, thanks for reading!