Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fire and Catching Fire, my thoughts

The last thing either of these two books need is more press, but I'm doing my best to give thoughts on everything I read this year, so I want to fill you all in on just what I think about both. No lengthy reviews here though, if you want those on either of these books I'm sure you won't have to look that far. Reviews are evvverrrywhere!

Fire, by Kristin Cashore definitely gets a starred review from me. Between Graceling and this sequel, these are great stories and Cashore is obviously amazing at creating characters to fall in love with. Though I was, at first, disappointed to not see the characters from Graceling in this one, but that quickly changed, as these characters were even more wonderful and rich as the previous.

Typically I think YA books over 300 pages could probably be cut down a bit, the almost 500 pages of this book were well worth my time. The descriptions of people and places felt entirely realistic, though also made the book quite long.

Definitely looking forward to more from Cashore.

Thanks to Penguin for the review copy :)

Kristin Cashore
480 pages
Young Adult
October 2009

Catching Fire was as fantastic as I thought it was going to be. Some bloggers think it was a disappointing sequel to The Hunger Games, but I expected high impact drama, a love triangle, and a whole lot of action, which is exactly what I got. I can't believe how creative Suzanne Collins is with her stories and though the whole Katniss/Peeta/Gale issue was somewhat overdone, I didn't mind as much as some. I expected it, so I think that made it ok for me.

I will say that very rarely am I vocal when reading a book (like gasping, sighing, etc.), but I was so loud when reading this is made my husband laugh hysterically. About halfway through, when the big twist hit, I happened to be reading in bed and gasped "NO!!" and he just could not stop laughing at me. Seriously though...heartstopping.

Now if only next year would come a bit faster...

Thanks to Scholastic for the review copy :)

Catching Fire
Suzanne Collins
400 pages
Young Adult
September 2009


Staci said...

Great reviews on both of them. I must be one of the last people on the planet to have yet to read the first ones in either series!!

3T said...

Well, finally! I can't TALK to you when you haven't finished the same books I have!

- Atlas's pet human

Kailana said...

I know. I still haven't reviewed either of Collins books... Really, what is there to say about them?