Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A reader's meme...thanks Susan!

Memes are fun. Just admit it already! Some of you don't do any, some of you do a whole bunch...I like to think I fall middle of the road, only participating once in awhile, but enough that you're able to learn a bit more about me than you typically would in an every day post.

I saw this over at one of my favorite blogs, Bloggin' 'bout Books, where Susan also "borrowed" it from someone. Enjoy! Feel free to steal it or not, but if you do, leave me a comment, I would love to read your answers!

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
I don't really have a preference between hardback or trade paperback. I like both equally. Mass market however, I do everything I can to stay away from. They are too chunky for my small hands, the print is a bit too small for my liking, and cosmetically, I just don't think they are quite as pretty as their larger counterparts.

Waterstones, Borders or Amazon?
I'm not aware of Waterstones, so that one isn't a contender here! To purchase books, I must admit I probably buy more from Amazon than anywhere else. I like that I can buy used if I want, helping to lower the price a bit. When I do go to an actual bookstore, it's usually Borders, because I get coupons emailed to me. I would LOVE to support physical indie bookstores, but having just moved here (and only having Google as my guide), I've only found one measly bookstore in a 30 mile radius. Have you ever sat in 30 miles of D.C. traffic? Enough said.

My favorite store for browsing is Barnes & Noble, because it's closest to my house. I spend probably an afternoon or two a month just browsing the new shelves, not actually buying.

Bookmark or dog-ear?
Well just because I'm not currently working doesn't mean I'm not still a librarian. No dog-eared pages in this house! I do, unfortunately, fall victim to the desire to put my book down, open-faced to my spot and leave it hanging. I know...that's terrible too, but I do it.

Amazon or brick-and-mortar?
It depends. If it's brand new and I really want it, probably a good, old fashioned store. If it's something that I can wait for, I want used, or want to wait for it to go down in price, Amazon.

Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random?
I'm not exactly random, but I don't alphabetize. If I have multiple books by the same author, they're grouped together. Other than that, I attempt to keep most of my shelves cosmetically pleasing too, so whatever looks good.

Keep, throw away, or sell?
For as many books as I read, I don't own a whole lot. Blame it on moving around so much, I just don't want to carry boxes of books anymore! I keep what I really enjoy, what I think just may be an award winner, or something I think my future children just have to read. I donate hundreds of books a year to various organizations, give away most of my ARCs, and NEVER throw books away. If I really, really didn't like it, the book goes in the Goodwill pile. Someone might enjoy it.

Keep dust jacket or toss it? I keep all my dust jackets (I never knew people threw them out!), but I don't always keep it on when I'm reading it. I carry books in my purse, in the car, in bookbags, etc. and I like to keep the jacket looking nice, so I usually remove it until I'm done.

Short story or novel? I'm typically not a fan of short stories.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? Harry Potter is definitely the winner of those two, though I do really love the Lemony Snicket books. Snarky, witty, super-fun to listen to on audiobook...I enjoy them quite a bit.

Buy or borrow? Both. I buy what I know I'm going to keep. If I'm adding to a certain series or have previously really loved an author's work, I'll purchase books unread. Other than that, the books are always purchased after I've read and loved them.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse? I always know what I'm buying before I go into a store. Well 99% of the time. Being currently unemployed (thank you, recession), money goes elsewhere, unless it's a book I just need. Like Catching Fire or Dan Brown's latest for the hubby.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger? I don't mind cliffhangers, though I do make sure I reread the first book before the next comes out. Tidy endings are great too.

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
I read whenever I have a chance. Typically, most of my reading is done in evening and at night, because I'm done with the daily stuff around the house/dinner/etc. I sneak chapters in throughout the day, but don't usually sit and read until after dinner. I do read while in waiting rooms, in the car, anywhere I can or have time for.

Stand-alone or series? I guess both. I love following a character as he or she grows and the story develops, but some books just don't fit the "series" mold.

Favorite series? Well, we've established that I love Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket. I also really love the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan..and yes...that vampire series.

Favorite children’s book?
I don't think I can answer that with just one. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett is one. A Little Princess by Frances Hodson Burnett. Matilda by Roald Dahl. The Amelia Bedelia books by Peggy Parish.

Favorite YA book?
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Favorite books read last year?
Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen, Lizard Love by Wendy Townsend, Thaw by Monica Roe.

Favorite books of all time?
The Bible, The Book Thief, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old?
Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Andrew Clements books. Or the Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix.

Favorite book to re-read?
I don't reread a whole lot, though I always enjoy Jodi Picoult the second time around. I reread the Bible, and lots of Mo Willems :)

Do you ever smell books?
I LOVE book smell!

Do you ever read primary source documents like letters or diaries?
Not unless they're in book form.

What are you reading right now?
Working my way slowly (on purpose) through Catching Fire. Just started Sent by Margaret Peterson Haddix. My adult book of choice at the moment is The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks. And I'm in Daniel of the Bible.

What are you reading next?
I seriously have about 100 ARCs I need to get to. Probably The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo, Ghost in the Machine by Patrick Carmen, and Snap by Carol Snow. Definitely subject to change.


I would love to know what you're reading!

6 comments:

Susan said...

Fun meme, huh? Our answers are really similar - no wonder I like you so much :)

Angie said...

Just did it. Though I am trying to convince myself to get to the gym so I wasn't as thorough as I might have been.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I'm reading The Year the Swallows Came Early and Persuasion, plus listening to The Hunger Games while I run errands.

I toss my covers. The books underneath are so beautiful!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

And I'm about to start Secrets of the Cheese Syndicate.

D.A. Tyo said...

Ghost in the Machine? Please don't let that one go to Goodwill! I have five classes of sixth graders clamoring for that one! :) Let us know what you think. We are very eager to read that book here!

Amanda said...

Haha, they only go to Goodwill if I really, really thought they were terrible and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I loved Skeleton Creek, so I doubt that will be the case with Ghost in the Machine!