Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Sari Shop Widow review

Jacket description:

"Since becoming a widow at age twenty-seven, Anjali Kapadia has devoted herself to transforming her parents' sari shop into a chic boutique, brimming with exquisite jewelry and clothing. But as competition heats up, Anjali learns the shop is on the brink of bankruptcy.

To the rescue comes Anjali's wealthy Uncle Jeevan and his business partner, Rishi Shah-a mysterious Londoner. Despite her initial resentment, Anjali is wildly attracted to Rishi-and he to her. And though she has vowed to live without love, Anjali begins to let Rishi open a whole new world to her, beyond the shop and beyond New Jersey's Little India..."

When my only method of travel is through the books that I read, India is my favorite destination, by far. The sights, sounds, and beautiful colors surrounding the culture of the country is incredibly intriguing and even though this novel takes place in New Jersey, the Indian basis is front and center.

Shobhan Bantwal has created a romance novel with substance. Definitely romantic, at times waaay over the top with the sexuality, but overall a nice romancy vibe.

The backdrop of the plot being the upscale sari shop in need of financial assistance was a very nice break from the norm. I love the descriptions of Anjali's designs and could see them in my head as I read the sentences. Beautiful!

Definitely a lot of family drama, in a good way. I read more for this part of the book than for anything else, and got my fill! The relationship between Anjali and her parents and with her Uncle has a rich, cultural basis, which I very much enjoyed.

Again, the sexuality is blatant and graphic at times and yes, I skimmed over these scenes, as I felt they were unnecessary to the plot going forth. That's really my only "complaint." Just because a book is romance does not mean it has to have graphic sex.

If you're a fan of Danielle Steel, Nora Roberts, or the like, you'll enjoy this one too :)

The Sari Shop Widow
Shobhan Bantwal
352 pages
Adult fiction
Kensington Fiction
September 2009


Laughing Stars said...

Lovely review! I also enjoy "traveling" through books.

TruBlu93 said...

Nice Review.

CeeCee said...

Sounds like a good book.

Staci said...

I love to travel to India in books too!! I look forward to reading this one!