Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The School for Dangerous Girls (YA review)

Need a little frustration in your life? Read this book. I was utterly frustrated throughout my entire reading of The School for Dangerous Girls by Eliot Schrefer, not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because I was SO angry at the parents, teachers, and situations the author describes in such horrifying detail. At times, I didn't think I could read anymore, just knowing that absolutely nothing good or righteous had happened whatsoever, but in the end, I made it to the last page.

Publisher's description:

"Angela's parents think she's on the road to ruin because she's dating a "bad boy." After her behavior gets too much for them, they ship her off to Hidden Oak. Isolated and isolating, Hidden Oak promises to rehabilitate "dangerous girls." But as Angela gets drawn in further and further, she discovers that recovery is only on the agenda for the "better" girls. The other girls -- designated as "the purple thread" -- will instead be manipulated to become more and more dangerous . . . and more and more reliant on Hidden Oak's care."

You know when you watch a movie and you just know something bad is going to happen to the character and you hate not being able to warn them? Well that's what I was feeling, pretty much from page one. Angela is a well-written character, stuck at this school for ridiculous reasons and the situations she is then put through are simply horrifying. I did feel the plot was more than a bit far-fetched, especially with the refusal of any and all parents to really worry about their kids, however I'm sure places like Hidden Oaks in The School for Dangerous Girls have existed, I can only hope they don't exist now.

Filled with suspenseful moments, a touch of romance, and a unique plot, I enjoyed this one and can see teens really getting into it. A bit of language and sexuality are included in the plot, just as a warning to all you parents!

To learn more, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

Thank you to Scholastic for the review copy :)

The School for Dangerous Girls
Eliot Schrefer
256 pages
Young Adult
Scholastic Press
January 2009

1 comment:

Erica said...

I still need to read this one - It's been on my books I need to get for quite some time now I just haven't gotten around to reading it. Great review.