Thursday, September 10, 2009

Some National Book Festival Advice?

So, living right outside D.C. definitely has its perks this year, as I get to head to the National Book Festival on the National Mall at the end of the month. Can we say YAY??!! But having never gone before, I need some advice from all of you experts out there.

Do you recommend bringing your books to be signed or buying them there?
What else should I plan to budget for?
Are there food tents or will I have to scope out some D.C. eats?
How did you plan out your day to see as much as possible?

Anything else you can add, please do...I would love to be prepared for the day of book signings and speakers!

Thanks :)

And for those of you that are thinking about going or don't even know about it, here's the website:
http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/

6 comments:

Janssen said...

Share what you find out because I need to KNOW! I am so so excited!

TruBlu93 said...

Wish I could be of service but I have no idea. I think I would take my books with me instead of getting them there. They might run our or be over priced, but I don't know. As for the budget, always take more that you plan to spend cause you never know.

But have fun!! I'm sure you will.

Abby said...

Yeah, I'm of no help either, but I'm jealous that you get to go! (S'ok, I will be at a fun book event that day anyway!)

Anna said...

Great post! I'll be going to the festival for the first time as well, so I have no clue what to expect.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I lived in Fairfax County when the first festival took place (just days before Sept. 11, by the way).

Here are some memories:
An author panel including Patricia MacLachlan and Katherine Paterson, two biggies in my world. One author spoke of how ideas come to her. She said most she has to work for, but some are "Athena ideas," born fully formed in her mind. Love it!

The most amazing moment for me happened on an elevator. I was heading up to the book signings and hours of lines. When I turned around, there was Jan Karon.

"I've your books!" I gushed.
"I love your baby," she kindly replied (I had a six-month-old in a stroller at the time).

Enjoy yourself and the beauty of the Library of Congress.

Serena said...

Amanda:

If you have any best-selling authors or those that you think are popular, plan to be waiting in the signing lines a long while. I would save about 20 min. before the actual signing starts to get in line for those authors. That usually means you may be leaving a speaker early.

Also, check out the LOC website for the schedule to plan which tents you will be in and at what times. The signings are generally at the end of the mall where the capitol building is...so they are further away than most of the tents.

As for food, there are plenty of vendors and each museum has its own cafe. I find the food reasonably priced in most of the museums or from most of the vendors...so no need to go out of your way for dc eats.

Will you be meeting up with the bunch of us book bloggers headed into the city? It would be great to meet you.