Thursday, October 1, 2009

Liar (YA review)

Before I get into my review of this book, I am just forewarning you that I'm not even touching on the cover controversy. Enough has been said...probably too much actually, so the last thing I want to do is add my opinion where enough "stuff" has already been posted about it.

Moving on...I'm still not entirely sure what to make of Justine Larbalestier's latest piece of young adult fiction, especially after reading her other, lighter book. Here's the publisher's description:

"Micah will freely admit that she's a compulsive liar, but that may be the one honest thing she'll ever tell you. Over the years she's duped her classmates, her teachers, and even her parents, and she's always managed to stay one step ahead of her lies. That is, until her boyfriend dies under brutal circumstances and her dishonesty begins to catch up with her. But is it possible to tell the truth when lying comes as naturally as breathing? Taking readers deep into the psyche of a young woman who will say just about anything to convince them - and herself - that she's finally come clean, Liar is a bone-chilling thriller that will have readers see-sawing between truths and lies right up to the end. Honestly."

How do you connect with a main character that is probably lying to you from page one? The concept of Micah being a compulsive liar was initially very intriguing, but ultimately left me confused and missing something. I wanted to like my main character...or even hate her...but I didn't even know her, which turned out to be a big problem in whether or not I liked the book.

And about halfway through the plot there is a twist. One I definitely did not see coming and kinda wish never happened. The story was flowing along just fine without it and I feel it made the whole book a lot more complicated than it already was. BUT I can't say anymore without giving you one whopper of a spoiler!

I think the whole "liar" idea will continue to intrigue people and maybe some of you will really love Larbalestier's novel. I didn't really connect with it, didn't totally understand the "why" of it all, and think the whole book was just a little too odd for my liking.

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon.

Thanks to Bloomsbury for the review copy :)

Liar
Justine Larbalestier
388 pages
Young Adult
Bloomsbury
9781599903057
October 2009

2 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

Yeah it sounds like an interesting idea for a premise but I can see how it wouldn't play out quite as well in a book. Way too confusing and I need to connect at least a little bit with the main character when reading.

Kailana said...

I think if I read this it will likely be from the library. I can't decide if it sounds like a good book or not!