Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Maze Runner (YA Review)

"When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind. "

What a wild ride this book takes you on! From the first page I was hooked and can definitely see the appeal bloggers have been raving about since the ARCs starting arriving in mailboxes. Boy and girl teens alike will enjoy the fast-paced plot and the variety of different character types.

A unique concept doesn't begin to describe the idea of a giant maze and boys being sent to solve it. A little bit Lord of the Flies, yes, but it's taken to an entirely different level, modernized, and is this awesome thriller that you can't help but fall completely into.

I wasn't entirely loving the cover once I saw the published hardback, but I love the book enough to not complain too much :)

Hand this to a reluctant reader or fans of The Hunger Games. No gender bias, anyone will enjoy the thrills and twists that author James Dashner provides. Apparently it's a trilogy, so look for two more books in the future. Yay!

The Maze Runner
James Dashner
384 pages
Young Adult
October 2009
Review copy provided by publisher


Kailana said...

I am looking forward to reading this at some point!

Amanda said...

Oh, it's SO worth your time Kailana! I loved it :) Very exciting!

Jill of The O.W.L. said...

I shared the book and trailer for it with all my 7th graders. They LOVED it. I heard so many "I've gotta read that book". :)

Debi said...

Oh gosh darnit. I've been doing a really good job at avoiding adding this one to my wish list, but I think you just broke down my last bit of resistance. I hope you're proud of yourself. ;)

3T said...

I'm about halfway through it, and I still haven't decided what I think of it:) You know me, I HATE not knowing what is going on! I've heard the ending hints that you will find out more in the next book, so I guess I'm going to have to finish this and wait patiently (hah!) for the next one.

Anonymous said...

aaaand I finished it.

Um. Yeah. Huh? Okay. Uh. Wha??????????

I feel like every season finale of "Lost" just became very humdrum and predictable.

What the...???!!!!

Ami at 3T (for some reason it won't let me sign in).