Friday, October 23, 2009

My game plan for the Read-a-thon (including donuts)

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon starts tomorrow morning!! 5am West Coast time, means an 8am starting block time for me, working out much better than the spring when I was still in NM and 2 hours behind. 6 is just too early for me to focus on pages. Anyways....

I have perfected my Read-a-thon days over the last few events and thought I would share with you now, what a tomorrow should be like. Of course, I'll be posting tomorrow and things will change, but these are personal tips and methods of getting through a whole lot of reading.

I start my day with donuts. Doesn't sound very special, but believe me, it is! I only let myself have donuts on pretty special occasions: friends/family stay over, we are driving to NY at 3am at stop for coffee, Read-a-thons). Soooo, the husband will be shooting over to Dunkin Donuts around 730 am tomorrow, picking me up a decaf with 2 creams and a couple of donuts. Probably a glazed and a marble froster, in case you're that interested. ;)

My reading list contains 13 books, most of which are pretty short. Though I am on the Cybils YA panel and probably should be reading only Cybils books, most of them are fairly long and I know I'll get bogged down easily if my page numbers aren't kept low per book. So I have 2 Cybils choices and the rest have been laying around for quite some time, waiting to be read and reviewed. Complete list of what I'm reading below.

I try to park it on the couch upstairs (we have 2 family rooms...one downstairs with a TV and the other w/o just off the kitchen). I don't really want a television to distract me, so I'll sit upstairs as long as I can stand it. Then, once the ants enter the pants and I don't want to sit still anymore, I'll start moving around. Back porch, bedroom, stairs leading to the backyard from the deck, etc.

Dinner will probably be Thai takeout, as we seem to have an obsession with it lately and I won't be cooking. A great excuse for Thai, if you ask me!

I will inevitably not read for 24 hours. Let's just get that out in the open right away. Never have completed a full challenge and I don't really even aspire to, I just like to participate with everyone else and read as much as I can. Saturdays are big "chore" days in our house, especially in the yard, and though my husband will tell me a million times he doesn't need help, I feel horrible watching him mow/rake/mulch/trim/etc., without any help at all. Soooo part of my afternoon will probably be spent in the yard. I would bet on it actually.

So that's how I do it. Will I stay up all night? No, I go to church early in the morning. Will it be lots of fun and will I check a bunch of books off the TBR list? You betcha!

Oh and I'm reading for Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, which does such amazing things for animal welfare. Having a rescue dog myself, especially one that is of a breed that has a bad rap, I love supporting an organization that focuses not only on rescue, but on prevention and education. $1 a book read will be pledged to them. :)

Here's my list:

Flight of the Phoenix by R.L. LaFevers
Walking Backward by Catherine Austen
The Naming of Tishkin Silk by Glenda Millard
Notes from the Dog by Gary Paulsen
Annie Glover is NOT a Tree Lover by Darleen Bailey Beard
William S. and the Great Escape by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Fade to Blue by Sean Beaudoin
Tofu Quilt by Ching Yeung Russell
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney
The Unfinished Angel by Sharon Creech
Front and Center by Catherine Murdock
Jumped by Rita Williams Garcia

See you all tomorrow!


6 comments:

CeeCee said...

Your game plan sounds good to me. Enjoy your day! This is my first time joining. I know I won't stay up for the entire time.

Debi said...

Such fun to read your plans, Amanda! Have a ball!!! I'll be around to see you tomorrow. :D

Kailana said...

I know what you mean! In the spring I was outside raking leaves and holding a ladder for branches to be cut down, and hauling those branches away! So, I am not so good at sitting around either... Good luck tomorrow and have fun! Enjoy your donuts. :)

Janssen said...

I love that the food is such a big part of it. As it should be!

Never That Easy said...

Hope you have a great time: today's my first time participating, and I am wicked excited!

Abby said...

Good luck, good luck! Hope you're having tons of fun!!