Monday, October 19, 2009

Non-Fiction Monday: Teen Memoir

I really, really, really enjoyed this book. I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs By Teens Famous and Obscure, is edited by Smith Magazine, and truly a wonderful addition to any library or as a gift for a teen.

Getting a teen to read a memoir may be somewhat difficult, but with this anthology of sorts, short, six-word memoirs by 600 different teens is a unique concept and your teen is bound to find someone he or she can relate to out of all these fabulous authors.

I had some favorites, including Ally O. who writes: "Allergic to reality; compelled by fiction." And Katie N. who writes: "I walked on eggshells; they cracked." And Ivy V. who writes: "Smoke detectors taught me to cook." And Taylor Swift's? "My diary is read by everyone." How true is that?

Some are sad, some are really funny, some are a little strange. I loved this, think it is entirely worthy of it's Cybils nomination, and hope you'll hand it to some teens that you love!

I Can't Keep My Own Secrets
edited by Smith Magazine
192 pages
Young Adult/Non-Fiction
HarperTeen
9780061726842
September 2009
Review copy provided by publisher


To learn more, or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I'm an Associate, so I'll receive a small percentage of your purchase price.

2 comments:

Staci said...

This one is on my radar...I so want to read it and give it a whirl for myself...just using 6 words. Not sure if I can do it!!

Cindy said...

I've read this one too!