Monday, October 26, 2009

Non-Fiction Monday: Never Smile at a Monkey

Jacket description:
"When it comes to wild animals, everyone knows that there are certain things you just don't do. It's clearly a bad idea to tease a tiger, pull a python's tail, or bother a black widow spider. But do you know how dangerous it can be to pet a platypus, collect a cone shell, or touch a tang fish? Some creatures have developed unusual ways of protecting themselves or catching prey, and this can make them unexpectedly hazardous to your health."


Oh how I love Steve Jenkins! He truly produces great, quality Non-fiction books for kids, complete with awesome illustrations and simple, yet totally educational facts. His latest, Never Smile at a Monkey, is easily another winner and one I can see teachers and librarians using all the time.

I can personally say that I learned a whole lot from this children's book! I did not know that confronting a kangaroo, swimming with squid, or petting a platypus were bad ideas, along with a bunch of other cool facts. The page spreads are awesome, each individual page featuring a different animal not to mess with, illustrated in Jenkins' cool way, with some reasons why and a nice, bold title.

There's an index of all the animals in the back, expanding on why they are not to be taken lightly.

Great for libraries, school, and home shelves.

To learn more, or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of your purchase of this book, or any other book/item.

Never Smile at a Monkey
Steve Jenkins
32 pages
Non-Fiction Picture Book
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
9780618966202
October 2009
Review copy courtesy of publisher

3 comments:

Katie said...

I loved this one too! So much I tried to nominate it for Non-Fiction category of Cybils but it was deemed ineligible... :(

maureen said...

I'm Australian and I can confirm confronting a Kargaroo or petting a platypus is a really bad idea. But I'll have to purchase Steve Jenkins latest book beacause I have no idea of the rules concerning swimming with squids.
Maureen. www.thepizzagang.com

Amanda said...

Katie, yeah I think it was published just recently. After the nominations closed anyways...maybe not.