Sunday, October 25, 2009

Read-a-thon Hour final wrap-up post

I bailed out early, as I always do, but I still feel like I got a lot of reading accomplished and had so much fun checking on how others were doing, keeping up on Twitter, and doing different mini-challenges. I ended up actually shutting the computer down a little after 11, but read for another 45 minutes once I actually went to bed AND got up and read a bit in the early morning. So my final tallies are:

Total time reading/blogging: 11 hours 55 minutes
Total books read: 9.5
Total pages read: 1376

And the end of event meme is as follows:

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Hour 15, that's when I gave up and went on into bed.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I read Jumped by Rita Williams Garcia and it was fast paced, short, and thrilling. Also, one I didn't read for the readathon but would certainly make a good book choice for the event is The Maze Runner by James Dashner.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? I personally didn't enjoy a whole lot of the mini-challenges and therefore didn't participate in a lot of them. I think if they focused more on books/reading and not so much on multimedia, twitter, or writing things, I might have enjoyed them more. Surveys, memes, book title stuff, are all easy and quick to do and don't take a lot of time out of reading.

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I think the fantastic organizers did a fabulous job at keeping all the info up-to-date. I really liked being able to head to the home page and see what challenges were still going on, who the most recent winners were, etc. 
5. How many books did you read? 10. Well, 9.5 really. I read 9 and finished half of another.

6. What were the names of the books you read? Annie Glover is NOT a Tree Lover, Walking Backward, and William S. and the Great Escape, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, Jumped, The Naming of Tishkin Silk, Notes from the Dog, Tofu Quilt, Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist: Flight of the Phoenix, and finished Fat Cat. Reviews to come of all.

7. Which book did you enjoy most? I got lucky, I really liked all of them. It's probably a tie between Jumped and Notes from the Dog.

8. Which did you enjoy least? None, I really liked them all.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I'm sure I'll be a reader again, if time allows. 


Care said...

Congrats on a fabulous ReadAThon! I'm tbr-ing a few of the books you mention. Thx for the excellent fdbk on the mini-challenges (I think mine fit your quick category)

Eva said...

Congrats on finishing 9.5 books! ;) And that's awesome you liked them all!

Abby said...

Woo, Amanda that's great! Good reading - sounds like fun!

3m said...

Great job, Amanda. Nine and a half books is amazing!

Nise' said...

Great accomplishment! Nine books is awesome. Glad you liked Notes From The Dog as I have that one up soon.

Debi said...

9 1/2 books!!!! Amanda, that's just incredible!!!! And hey, enjoying every one of them...well, you simply can't beat that, can you? :D So glad you had fun!

Anna said...

Great job! I didn't last the full 24 hours either, and I also didn't complete the one book I read all day, but it was a lot of fun.

Diary of an Eccentric

Michelle said...

I knew going in that it was going to be extremely unlikely that I'd be able to do all 24 hours. Like you I was pretty well done by hour 16. I had hoped to wake up early and get a few hours in the morning under my belt but then it just didn't happen that way unfortunately. I still felt quite accomplished though!

You did a fabulous job, congratulations on a successful readathon!