Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Knit the Season review

Jacket Description (from ARC):
"The upcoming holiday season is all about showing off her talents as a pastry chef for college-age Dakota Walker--when she's not busy stitching at Walker & Daughter, the coziest yarn shop on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Now, with the help of the family that's always sustained her, including the women of the Friday Night Knitting Club, Dakota remembers what is truly important. And the possibility of a Christmas visit to her beloved Gran in Scotland--with the potential for illuminating revelations about her mother, Georgia Walker--is overwhelmingly tempting.

From Thanksgiving through Hanukkah and Christmas to a spectacular New Year's wedding reception, Knit the Season is a tender story about the richness of family bonds, the magical power of memory, and the everlasting joys of friendship."

If you haven't read the previous two books in Kate Jacobs' series, The Friday Night Knitting Club and Knit Two, you'll definitely want to pick those up before starting this one, or risk being lost without back story and the building up of main characters. It even took me awhile to get caught back up with who was who and who did what, even after reading the previous two books.

That being said, this was a really nice addition to the series, though like my thoughts on Knit Two, I thought it was missing a little bit of magic that the first book had. The characters and their stories are definitely on the mark and though Dakota is placed as the main character, the others (Anita, Catherine, Darwin, and Lucie) all hold their own pretty well within the story. I think it's the knitting and the time together that I really missed from the first book.

All of the women lead very separate lives and the concept of getting together on Fridays to gossip and receive help on tough issues from each other has definitely taken a backseat. There isn't quite as much "coziness" or companionship running through this one as the others, though the story does still flow nicely, even if it takes a somewhat different path.

Jacobs does have a knack for description, especially when explaining different colors of yarns and the make-up of the Walker & Daughter. I guess I just missed the knitting and the chatting. I'm not sure if this is the last book in the series or not, but I would love to see an expansion on what happens with the shop in the future. We shall see....

I would recommend this series to anyone with a crafty nature and who wants to get that creative vibe going. I don't personally knit, but I love to read about others that do! With the beautiful red cover, this would make a nice stocking stuffer. Again, if you're giving this as a gift, I would start with the first one, The Friday Night Knitting Club. Just a thought!

To learn more, or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of your purchase price.

Knit the Season: A Friday Night Knitting Club Novel
Kate Jacobs
272 pages
Adult Fiction
Putnam Adult
November 2009
Review copy received from publisher


Sandie Lee said...

great blog :)

Staci said...

I need to get my hands on this one!! Every time I read a book about knitting I want to learn how to do it!!

3T said...

Hey lady, we mentioned you on our blog today (and when we said you were evil, we meant it in the nicest possible way.)

Colleen said...

Loved this book - can't get enough of the FNKC series. Have you read Comfort Food? I haven't gotten to that one yet but have heard mixed reviews . . .