Monday, November 30, 2009

Non-Fiction Monday: Time for snow!!!

Let me start off this post by explaining that I have a slight obsession with that fluffy white stuff that falls from the sky in the winter months. I grew up in Upstate NY where we got dozens of feet of snow every winter, snow days were a weekly occurrence some years (but only if at least a full foot feel or an ice storm graced us), and I owned more sweaters than I did t-shirts. Then I moved to Southern New Mexico four years ago and had only teeny tastes of snow for those years. We would get the occasional dusting, which would shut down the town,  but nothing worth talking about at all. So, now that we're back on the East Coast, I'm SO excited for winter to really start. I would have expected snow by now, being late November, but we've had 70 degree days for weeks!

My obsession goes beyond just the weather. If you know me well enough, you know our last name happens to be Snow, so we collect snowflakes, snow angels, wintery stuff, etc, as any good member of the Snow family does! We fulfill our name well :)

I'll enjoy my wishful thinking about the weather, while you enjoy these books about snow!

The Story of Snow:The Science of Winter's Wonder, is written by Mark Cassino with Jon Nelson, Ph.D. and takes every day questions about snow and answers them with a simple, yet informative method. We are able to learn just what snow is made of, how it forms, what the different shapes are, etc. Lots of really cool facts about snow that aren't typically taught.

Also included is a pretty neat activity, teaching us how to find our own snow crystals (and I know it works, I did it in the third grade!). The photographs of real, blown-up snow crystals are just fabulous and leave me itching to take out my scissors and make framed pictures out of this book. I'll resist, I promise!

A really great classroom book. Teachers and librarians can use this to accompany units on weather or hand it to kids doing projects on the fluffy white stuff I love so much!

The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder
Mark Cassino with Jon Nelson, Ph.D.
36 pages
Chronicle Books
October 2009
Review copy received from publisher

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Affiliate and will receive a small commission for your purchase. Thanks!

1 comment:

nomadreader said...

Your post reminded me of an observation I had while working at an independent bookstore in college. A colleague and I were making a display of Caldecott winners, and we realized how many there are about snow! I am also a huge fan of snow (although a recent transplant to upstate New York for graduate school), and I am eagerly awaiting the season's first snow!