Sunday, November 1, 2009

October Mini-Reviews

It's time again for my monthly Mini-Reviews feature. If you haven't checked out one of these posts before, my main reason for doing them is simply because I read too many books during the month to write out full, long reviews about each one of them. Mini-reviews consist of books that have already gotten a lot of press and don't necessarily need my thoughts to boost sales, books that I didn't really enjoy, or books that I just didn't have a whole lot to say about, whether good or bad.

Ok, that being said, on to the short-but-sweet thoughts on these titles:

The Off Season by Catherine Murdock is one I listened to via audiobook on my way to New York earlier in October. Loved Dairy Queen and I'm going to be reading the third in the series, Front and Center for the Cybils later this month. 

The book was wonderful, read by Natalie Moore, who was just ok. She did a great job at getting the hint of a Wisconsin accent I expected from D.J., but she also made her sound about 12. Engaging story line and the awesome characterization Murdock has become known for.

Definitely recommended to those that read Dairy Queen (and if you haven't, go get it!).

The Off Season
Catherine Murdock
Audiobook read by Natalie Moore
Listening Library (book from Houghton Mifflin)
May 2007
Book provided by the local library :)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by the fabulous Jeff Kinney, was wonderful, as expected. Who couldn't love the Wimpy Kid books? Funny, crazy, and always delightful, with a main character you just want to squeeze (or sometimes smack).

In this one, it's summer-time and Greg is, once again, getting himself into lots of trouble. Not much different than the other books in the series, but Kinney's writing is anything but boring and repetive.

Hand this to a reluctant reader or to someone who things books with drawings are just for little kids. Loving these books :)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days
Jeff Kinney
224 pages
Middle Grade Fiction
Amulet Books
October 2009
Review copy provided by publisher

Annie Glover is NOT a Tree Lover, written by Darlene Bailey Beard and Heather Mione fits into that early chapter book category and sends out a pretty good message about standing up for what you believe in. Not the most exciting book I've ever read, but I think it will hold children's attention. It's easy to read, the main character, Annie, is likable and very similar to the children today, wanting to blend in with the crowd, rather than stand out.

I did feel the plot development was a little too fast, but given the length of the book, I suppose that could easily be overlooked.

A nice in-between choice for those not quite ready for long chapter books. A good family read aloud as well.

Annie Glover is NOT a Tree Lover
Darlene Bailey Beard and Heather Maione
128 pages
Early Chapter Book
Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
September 2009
Review copy provided by publisher

Eli the Good, by Silas House, is one that a lot of people will probably argue with me on. It gets nothing but 5 star reviews on Amazon (though take those with a grain of salt as always) and really has the makings in the plot for a winner. I, however, found it boring and slow. It didn't move for me, I can't really remember anything about it only a few days after finishing it. It just didn't stick with me and is leaving me with not a whole lot to see.

Thus...a mini-review.

I suggest learning more about this one, Google it or check in on Amazon. Lots of others have loved it, the book just didn't go anywhere with me.

Eli the Good
Silas House
304 pages
Young Adult
October 2009
Review copy provided by publisher

To learn more about any of these books, or to purchase, click on the book covers above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of your purchase (of the books or anything else).

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Boo for Eli the Good :( I just picked it up this past week. I'll be interested to see where I fall in the spectrum of like vs. disllike.