Saturday, November 28, 2009

Picture Book Saturday

Just two for you all today...it's been a lazy week here at A Patchwork of Books!


How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You? is part of Jane Yolen's "Dinosaur" series, which happens to be one of my favorite, favorite series. Along with awesome illustrator Mark Teague, readers get a hilarious glimpse into the lives of our favorite dinosaur.

We can never have enough reasons or methods to say "I love you," and these dinosaurs, even though they're sometimes naughty give parents and kids lots of funny ideas. No matter what a child does, he or she is always loved and Yolen is able to get that point across very well, while mixing silly rhymes with Teague's bright and fun illustrations.

Great for group read alouds, also awesome for bedtime stories between families. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Jane Yolen book, but the "Dinosaurs" are definitely some of my favorites!

How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
Jane Yolen
40 pages
Picture Book
Blue Sky Press
9780545143141
October 2009
Review copy received from publisher

A Book of Sleep, written and illustrated by Il Sung Na is one of those bedtime books that has the makings of a classic. The flow of the text is magical and sleep-inducing and the beautiful illustrations with keep you staring at the pages long after the story is over.

A lone owl watches as other animals fall asleep at night, each doing something different. Some animals sleep standing up, some all by themselves, and others sleep cuddled up close together. A great way to learn about animals, as well as tell a soft, quiet bedtime story.

Again, the illustrations are just beautiful and the text flowy and lyrical. A great bedtime story for families or just as a one-on-one read aloud. Loved it!


A Book of Sleep
Il Sung Na
24 pages
Picture Book
Knopf
9780375862236
September 2009
Review copy received from publisher

To learn more, or to purchase, click on the book covers above to link to Amazon. I am an Affiliate and will receive a small commission from your purchase. Thanks!

4 comments:

Tif said...

I love the Dinosaur series!!! Definitely one of the family faves!

Myne Whitman said...

A book of sleep sounds interesting, thanks for sharing.

Kirthi said...

The Dinasaur series were my favorite when I was little. Gawsh, I miss reading picture books. I should start up again...yeah, I should! Thanks soo much! You have a wonderful blog :D

Kristi_runwatch said...

My kiddos love those dinosaur books, too - we'll have to look for this one at the library!