Wednesday, December 16, 2009

40 Loaves (Christian review)

Jacket description:
"There are many questions we're not supposed to ask when playing by the religious rules. It makes people uncomfortable. So why is it that Jesus invited questions and even asked some himself? What is it that you're afraid to ask God? It's a risky prospect to begin asking-but far riskier to continue simply trying to get by without knowing. Author C.D. Baker asked himself forty soul-searching questions, which started a conversation in his heart and ultimately showed him more about God than he ever expected.

Can we become more honest with who we really are and find who God says he really is at the same time? Come indulge yourself in daily readings with an honest exploration of your secret fears and thoughts, and know that you will always be welcomed in God's unconditional love."

Boy do I love me a good devotional. I have had a hard time finding a good balance between Scriptural teachings and real life examples, relying on a select few titles that I continue going back to. 40 Loaves: Breaking Bread with Our Father Each Day, written by C.D. Baker, was a really refreshing read, one that can be done over forty days and then looked back upon, or one that can be read straight through.

Baker really does ask God some pretty heavy questions. Why am I so afraid of death? Why do I care so much about my reputation? Why am I bored with church, the Bible, and Jesus? Really great, honest questions. And the readings that follow each question are not answers, they're just thoughts that we all think at times, but are often afraid to address in our talkings with God.Baker shares ideas and musings and advice of his own, but never tries to "answer" for God.

A prayer is included at the end of each reading, which I really liked. I'm one of those that has a really hard time putting my emotions and thoughts into a meaningful prayer, so Baker's prayers were a great jumping off point for me, allowing for a simple start, which I could then expand upon to fit my own thoughts. Very helpful. 

Overall, I was very impressed with this little book that held so much meaning for me personally. I'll be sharing it with friends and family, and have it in mind to buy for a friend struggling with her faith. A great "quick" read that definitely leaves you thinking, or a nice choice as a daily devotional. Mature Christians and new Christians alike can gain something from 40 Loaves

40 Loaves: Breaking Bread with Our Father Each Day
C.D. Baker
176 pages
Christian Non-Fiction
October 2009
Review copy received from publisher

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a tiny commission for each purchase. Thanks!

You can also check out the book (or buy it if you so choose) at

No comments: