Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Christmas Cookie Club review

Jacket description:"Mark your calendar. It's the Christmas Cookie Club! Every year on the first Monday of the month of December, Marnie and her twelve closest girlfriends gather in the evening with batches of beautifully wrapped homemade cookies. Everyone has to bring a dish, a bottle of wine, and their stories. This year, the stories are especially important. Marnie's oldest daughter has a risky pregnancy. Will she find our tonight how that story might end? Jeannie's father is having an affair with her best friend. Who else knew about the betrayal, and how can that be forgiven or forgotten, even among old friends such as these? Rosie's husband doesn't want children, and she has to decide, very soon, whether or not that's a deal breaker for the marriage. Taylor's life is in financial freefall. Each woman, each friend has a story to tell, and they are all interwoven, just as their lives are. 

On this evening, at least, they can feel as a group the impulses of sisterly love and conflict, the passion and hopefulness of a new romance, the betrayal and disillusionment some relationships bring, the joys and fears of motherhood, the agony of losing a child, and above all, the love they have for one another."

If you're in the mood for a light, quick holiday read, this is a great choice. Not a whole lot of depth and the characters just barely get into telling their personal stories before it's time to move onto the next woman's and a lot of the individual stories are somewhat cliche. But really...I didn't expect a fabulously written, deep, thought-provoking novel, I just wanted something light, fun and Christmasy, and that's exactly what I was given. I've been snowed in all weekend and enjoyed this for an afternoon.

I did love getting a cookie recipe at the beginning of each chapter, a few of which I plan to try out this week, and I really liked the inclusion of special chapters dedicated to the background of specific baking ingredients. We're given mini-chapters on flour, chocolate, almonds, among a bunch of others, including where they originated and who used them in the past. Author Ann Pearlman definitely did her research!

I'm totally sold on the idea of hosting a Christmas cookie club someday, if only for the cookies! I'm sure my friends would be up to it to, I would love to actually get a club together and have wine and cookies all night.

The Christmas Cookie Club: A Novel
Ann Pearlman
288 pages
Adult fiction
Atria
9781439158845
October 2009
Copy borrowed from my local library


To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a tiny commission from your purchase. Thanks!

4 comments:

3T said...

Wine, cookies and gossip, I'm in! (If only virtually)

Amanda said...

Once your pet librarian has that baby, she can come enjoy all the wine and cookies she wants!

Katie said...

I ordered this from the library to read... Mom caught sight of it and took SOOOOO long to read I had to return it before I had the chance to read it... however, it's on hold again, but I won't likely get through it before Christmas... :(

Callista said...

I just read and reviewed this (and linked to yours.) I agree!