Wednesday, December 30, 2009

December Mini-reviews

If you've never seen one of my Mini-review features, here's the synopsis: Reviews are of books that have already been reviewed about a million times by other bloggers and/or titles that I just don't have a whole lot to say about. Good or bad. Enjoy!
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

I listened to this one on my drive back from NY. I know, I know, I'm the last person in the world to pick up this wonderful fantasy, but I've now accomplished that and am sooo excited for the Cybils season to be over so I can happily devour the rest of the books in the serious. Completely engrossing and beautifully written. A piece of magic in book form!
Ooh and if you're going to listen to it, make sure you pick up the full-cast audio, it's fantastic!

The Goose Girl
400 pages
Young Adult
April 2005
Audiobook borrowed from my local library

Jumped by Rita Williams-Garcia

This book just recently won the National Book Award, of which totally deserving. I loved the ethical dilemma at the focus of the plot and the strong voices that came out of all of the characters. Some will annoy you, others you'll feel sorry for, but all of them are strong and beautifully written. It's a page turner and one to open up discussions with teens.

176 pages
Young Adult
February 2009
Borrowed from my local library

Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Now this is a novel about overlooking differences. A retelling of Beauty and the Beast, I was pretty impressed with  I cannot imagine having my hands replaced with hooks, especially during high school, but the author truly helps the reader to live this experience. I loved the alternating characters for this particular story, as it helped to really expand on how both Lucias and Aurora were dealing with the romance forming between them. A good read for those that enjoy fairy tale retellings or just enjoy a good romance.

I read this one for the Cybils.

Crazy Beautiful
208 pages
Young Adult
Houghton Mifflin
September 2009
Review copy received from publisher

Let it Snow: Three Holiday Romances by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle

Cheerful, fun, and totally Christmas-spirit inducing. My favorite story was probably Jubilee Express, though I did really enjoy them all. Sweet without being mushy and, at times, completely laugh-out-loud funny, and a really nice book to make a tradition out of. I'll probably be reading this each December and can see myself loving it even more each year!

Let It Snow
368 pages
Young Adult
October 2009
Book is my own copy

 Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor 

Yep, definitely loved this one. I've only read about 40 reviews of this one over the last few months, all telling me how fabulous it was and they were all right. Illustrations, done by Jim Di Bartolo, were striking and added to the creepiness of all the stories. It's one of those books that will keep you up late at night reading...and then you'll want to leave a light on when it's time to go to sleep. 

Lips Touch: Three Times
272 pages
Young Adult
Arthur A. Levine 
October 2009
Review copy received from publisher

To learn more about any of these books, or to purchase, click on the book covers above to link to Amazon. I'm an Associate and will receive a tiny commission for your purchase. Thanks!

No comments: