Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Far From You (YA review)

Jacket description:
"Years have passed since Alice lost her mother to cancer, but time hasn't quite healed the wound. Alice copes the best she can by writing her music, losing herself in her love for her boyfriend, and distancing herself from her father and his new wife.

But when a deadly snowstorm traps Alice with her stepmother and newborn half sister, she'll face issues she's been avoiding for too long. As Alice looks to the heavens for guidance, she discovers something wonderful.


Perhaps she's not so alone after all..."

A novel in verse by Lisa Schroeder, this one isn't quite as dark and dismal as the description makes it sounds. Alice is a girl suffering from terrible grief after losing her mother, as well as feeling replaced by a stepmother. She's not entirely sure how to work through all these feelings, but tries, through song-writing, going to church, and spending time with her amazing boyfriend. Still, all is not well. Alice has an attitude, a chip on her shoulder, and a broken heart. Depressing, yes, but written very well.

I loved how honest the writing felt and the pure emotion that came from Alice as a character. I was a bit put off by Blaze (the boyfriend) in the beginning, especially being the fact that his name is BLAZE, but I was pleasantly surprised by how he turned out. Their relationship was believable and maybe will help to inspire some teen girls to wait for the right boy to come along before giving her heart over to someone.

Alice's situation with the snowstorm is terrifying and had me frantically turning pages to find out what happened. Things certainly tie up in a neat little bow at the end, which was a bit annoying (too perfect maybe?), but overall I really enjoyed the plot. Loved the cover too. The paperback cover is not nearly as beautiful, but here it is in case you're interested:





I read this one for the Cybil Awards.

Far From You
Lisa Shroeder
368 pages
Young Adult
Simon Pulse
9781416975069
December 2008
Review copy received from publisher for Cybil's review


To learn more, or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a tiny commission for your purchase. Thanks!

3 comments:

towerofbooks said...

I read this book earlier this year. At first I wasn't sure if I'd like a book in verse, but I really enjoyed it.

Amanda said...

I was the same way for awhile, not totally liking the verse form, but it's grown on me over the next few years. You get a whole story, but it takes a lot less time to read!

Charlotte said...

Blaze is truly an off-putting name (in my mind at least)!