Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Have you heard this news???

Ok, so I'm probably the last to know about this, because although I receive my email issue of PW Children's Bookshelf on Thursdays like everyone else, I never get around to reading it until Monday or Tuesday of the following week.

But still...I'm squealing over the news that there is going to be a sequel to A Little Princess! It's my absolute favorite children's classic (and I even enjoyed the movie) and Hilary McKay has written a sequel, due in January, giving the girls back at the orphanage a chance to continue their stories. Again, I'm probably way behind on the news, but YAY!!!!

I suppose that means I should reread A Little Princess for the 100th time before cracking
open this one! Amazon says Wishing for Tomorrow is due out January 5th. Big smile from me!


7 comments:

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

Yes! Although not from PW Children's Bookshelf, so I don't know if they mentioned that the sequel is about...Ermengarde. Ermengarde?! I posted my thoughts about it here:
http://bookstogether.squarespace.com/blog/2009/4/28/another-little-princess.html
but will be reading it right along with you regardless!

Amanda said...

Children's Bookshelf just said it would be following the rest of the orphans after Sara leaves. I'm so excited!

Jennifer said...

Hah, I have been waiting forever, it seems like, b/c the pub. date I had was September and I have been waiting since I heard about it last spring! I love McKay and I love Little Princess. How can it go wrong?

Jeane said...

I always feel a little hesitant when I see sequels written years later to well-beloved books, by someone other than the original author. I fear it just can't live up to the quality, or match the style. Did you know there's another Winnie the Pooh book now? but I'm afraid to read it! You'll have to let us know (of course) how this one is.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I usually have a hard time with sequels written by others. I don't think I could pick this one up.

Tasha said...

I am looking forward to this one too! I was so glad to see that McKay was writing it. But it is such a beloved story for me that it could go sour quickly. Here's hoping for a great addition to the story.

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

I don't necessarily have high expectations of a sequel written by someone other than the original author, but I'll usually take a peek just because I'm curious, and can't resist the chance to revisit favorite characters. The same is not true of movies, though--the more I like a book, the less inclined I am to see the film.