Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Holiday Books Day 1: The Polar Express

Each day leading up to Christmas, I'm going to feature a children's book that I've really enjoyed and would make a great choice to share with your family for the holidays. It may be one I've loved for years or one I've just recently found, but all would be great additions to your holiday story list. Hopefully you'll find something to enjoy!

For the first installment of this daily feature, I would love to talk about one of my all-time favorite Christmas stories, The Polar Express. Now, I know this is not even remotely new book, but it is such a wonderful classic, I truly feel all should own a copy. Author (and Caldecott winner), Chris Van Allsburg, is celebrating the 25th Anniversary of this awesome story about a young boy and his wonderful imagination, as he takes a trip to the North Pole to see Santa.


This new edition features the same beautiful story and illustrations as the original book, but also comes with a recorded version of the story by Liam Neeson. Pretty fantastic to say the least.

My husband and I will be reading this magical story to our own children someday, for now I read it to myself and will enjoy a nice dose of Tom Hanks when we snuggle up and watch the movie sometime this month.

If by some strange chance you grew up without this book in your life, grab a copy from the library or buy one for yourself and your family for Christmas. Such an awesome, wonderful, magical story!

The Polar Express
Chris Van Allsburg
32 pages
Picture Book
Houghton Mifflin Company
9780395389492
October 1985 (reissued for 25th Anniversary, 2009)
Review copy received from publisher


To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small commission from your purchase. Thanks!

3 comments:

mominsanity said...

Love the Polar Express - the book and the movie make me cry!

Jeane said...

This is one my family has always loved. The film version was pretty good, too. My five year old loved it!

Rawley said...

Can you believe that there was not ONE copy of The Polar Express in our media center? Every book with a copyright date before 2000 was boxed up and shipped out to who-knows-where! No Polar Express is like a Christmas tree with no lights...