Thursday, December 17, 2009

Holiday Books Day 17: Christmas Tree Memories

Each day leading up to Christmas, I'm going to feature a Children's book that I've really enjoyed and would make a great choice to share with your family for the holidays. It may be one I've loved for years or one I've just recently found, but all would be great additions to your Christmas story list. Hopefully you'll find something to enjoy!

Jacket description:
"It's Christmas Eve! Two children and their parents gather in the darkened pine-scented room, just as they do each year. There stands the Christmas tree, glowing with candles and laden with ornaments, many of which they have made and are unique.


A surge of memories envelops them at the sight of the tree. The family's voices intertwine us as they share remembrances of a family, friends, places, and events, recounting their own lives through the stories of each decoration."

Who doesn't live Aliki? And who doesn't love reminiscing each year about the different ornaments on your tree? Just a week ago, as I was going through a box of ornaments from my childhood, ones I had not seen for many years, I came across one I made when I was in first grade and I thought to myself "you know you were a child of the 80's when it was perfectly ok to make an ornament in school out of a disposable ashtray." How funny is that?? Gold, cheap metal ashtray, with my picture in the middle. hehe

It's memories like that, that build up Aliki's beautiful family story. Who needs bright and shiny, new ornaments, when the old, beaten, and sometimes ugly ones, have such great stories attached?


I love this as a family read aloud or for a storytime precursor to an ornament craft. Just don't use ashtrays!


Christmas Tree Memories
Aliki
30 pages
Picture Book
HarperCollins
9780060200077
September 1991
Copy borrowed from my local library

To learn more, or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a tiny commission from your purchase (though I believe this one is out of print). Thanks!

No comments: