Monday, December 7, 2009

Holiday Books Day 7: Under the Star

Each day leading up to Christmas, I'm going to feature a Children's book that I've really enjoyed and would make a great choice to share with your family for the holidays. It may be one I've loved for years or one I've just recently found, but all would be great additions to your holiday story list. Hopefully you'll find something to enjoy!
 If you haven't already noticed, I've been featuring a whole lot of Jane Yolen on the blog lately. I can't help it, I just love her books, and I know I'm not alone in that. She's a fantastic author of all types of picture books, so I thought it appropriate to feature one of her's for my Holiday Books feature. Enjoy!

Under the Star: A Christmas Counting Story is illustrated by Vlasta van Kampen (and beautifully so). Written by Yolen for the younger set of kiddos, each page spread helps the reader to count up, starting with one and ending with ten, all focusing on getting closer to the manger with the baby Jesus inside.

The book features an angel, the shepherds, sheep, cows, etc, all anxious to know who is in the manger. A very nice way to help introduce the idea of the nativity and the manger, as well as work on simple counting skills. The illustrations are simple, yet bold, and should have no problem holding your little one's attention.

A quick read for sure, but perfect for those with a short "sitting still" ability!


Under the Star: A Christmas Counting Story
Jane Yolen
24 pages
Picture Book
Kids Can Press
9781554702015
November 2009
Review copy received from publisher


To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a tiny commission from your purchase. Thanks!

No comments: