Thursday, December 10, 2009

How to Say Goodbye in Robot (YA review)

Jacket description:
"New to town, Bea is expecting her new best friend to be one of the girls she meets on the first day. You know the type: very cheery, very friendly, very average. But instead, the alphabet conspires to seat her next to Jonah, aka Ghost Boy, a quiet observer who hasn't made a new friend since third grade. He's not a big fan of people in general...but he's willing to make an exception for her. Maybe.
 

Bea and Jonah are not going to have a friendship like other people have a friendship, where it's all based on gossip and parities and what everybody else thinks. Instead, their friendship comes from truth-bound conversations, shared secrets, daring stunts, and late-night calls to the same old-timer radio show. They help each other and hurt each other, push away and hold close. It's not romance exactly- but it's definitely love. And it means more to them than either one can ever really know..."

I loved this quirky story, so much more than I thought I was going to. Natalie Standiford has created these two characters that I really believed in and felt had this love that is forced to go unexplained in an incredibly romantic way. I could picture someone from my own past, as Jonah, and I think that helped his emotions resonate  The ending is not at all typical of a teen novel and that had me loving it even more, as much as I wished it had ended differently...if only for my own, personal emotional state.

The part of the story where Jonah and Bea go off to find his brother, is a bit less believable as a whole, but since I felt the whole "point" of the book was to focus on this friendship that's a true, deep love for each other, so I wasn't hung up on the fact that I couldn't really see teens doing that. I loved the characters enough that it didn't matter what else was going on.

A beautifully written, quirky story, that will expand your mind to other realms of romance, rather than just all lovey lust, and making out.


How to Say Goodbye in Robot
Natalie Standiford
288 pages
Young Adult
Scholastic Press
9780545107082
October 2009
Review copy received from publisher for the Cybil Awards


To learn more, or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a tiny commission from your purchase.

4 comments:

Abby said...

Ohhh good, I have this on my TBR list (for post-Cybils, of course) and I'm glad to know you enjoyed it! Thanks for posting!

Myne Whitman said...

Nice review.

Nise' said...

I just brought this one home and after your review I am looking forward to reading it.

Michelle said...

I adore a good love story especially those that aren't necessarily centered around the usual lust. I've got this one already waiting to read. I think I need to schedule it. :)