Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Lots of snow and a challenge wrap-up

If you have been following any of us bloggers and Tweeters, this past week, you know the Virginia and D.C. area got slammed with a huge snowstorm. I live about 20 miles southwest of the city and we recorded a bit over 2 feet of snow at our house, which apparently, is crazy for Virginia. We are still thinking the realtor lied to us when she said "6 inches is a lot...and we rarely get that!" So much for that!

So my dog Shae, thought the snow was the greatest thing in the world, racing through at fast as she possibly could, dunking her nose down in it, eating, trying to catch the flakes in her mouth, etc. Pretty hilarious. Our English bulldog, Zoey, on the other hand, didn't care for it at all. She's a bit prissy, not liking her feet wet, not to mention the snow was well above her head. We had to shovel a path for the poor dog to go to the bathroom.

And Aaron and I lovvvved it. For about 48 hours. Then the past 4 years living in New Mexico started coming back to us, with the quick realization that we never even needed to own a snow shovel,  snow boots, or winter coats, let alone consider investing in a snow blower! I'm ready for it all to go away now and April to get here.

 Moving on...

Back in September I joined the Fall Into Reading Challenge hosted by Katrina over at Callapidder Days. Did I finish? Nope. It's that little thing called The Cybil Awards that get in the way of my free reading. Oh well, it was fun!

1. Goth Girl Rising by Barry Lyga
2. Hold Still by Nina LaCour
3. Splendor: A Luxe Novel by Anna Godbersen
4. The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin
5. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
6. Liar by Justine Labalestier
7. A Map of the Known World by Lisa Ann Sandell
8. Hate List by Jennifer Brown
9. Karma for Beginners by Jessica Blank
10. Notes from the Dog by Gary Paulsen


After the Moment by Garret Freymann-Weyr
Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin
The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment by A.J. Jacobs

This is probably the one challenge I'll actually join next year. It's simple, you can change your titles as you go along (though I didn't), there are prizes, and it's completely pressure free.


Laza said...

I've lived in various parts of VA my entire life and I've only ever seen snow like this once when I was at school at JMU in Harrisonburg (in the mountains) in 2003. I'm in Arlington now--I think we got over 18 inches. DC pretty much shut down. We don't get snow like this very often. It's definitely unusual!

Sarah said...

Looks like a nice typical MN snowfall to me. :D I love all that snow. of course, now that I'm in Southern Colorado, we don't get quite as much. So, no snowblower for me. Hope you are all surviving!

Amy said...

Those are all the reasons I love this challenge, too. Congrats!

Nise' said...

That is a lot of snow and I am glad it missed us.

Great job on the fall reading challenge.

3T said...

I got a stomach virus two weeks ago, and there was a snowstorm that knocked out power for four days. This week I caught a cold, and we have four inches of snow so far and the highway is closed. I'm a little afraid of what will happen when I go into labor in February...

Jeane said...

Love your pictures of the snow! I'm in VA too, and was shocked at the record snowfall. Of course, my five-year-old thinks it's heaven, but wow what a chore to dig the car out. Stay warm!

HilBil said...

Like several others on this post, I too live in the DC area. In just the 3.5 yrs I've lived in the area, this is the most snow we've ever gotten, yet people still freak out each time it happens as though they've never seen the white stuff ever before in their life :). I enjoyed your pictures though! My b/f and I had fun while we drove around southern MD taking pictures and having a ball out on the snow covered roads! :) brings back the fond memories of western PA!