Wednesday, January 27, 2010

January Mini-Reviews

If you've never seen one of my Mini-review features, here's the synopsis: Reviews are of books that have already been reviewed about a million times by other bloggers and/or titles that I just feel don't need the full synopsis and in-depth reviews as other books I've read throughout the month. Enjoy!

Candor by Pam Bachorz

Want a thriller? This is your book. I found myself staying up late into the night to finish this, flipping pages with my heart racing, not being able to stop thinking about Oscar's ridiculously dysfunctional life. Teen boy or girl, adult or reluctant reader, hand it to anyone. It's that good.

And it's been shortlisted for a Cybil Award--wahoo!.

Overall rating: 4 out of 5

Pam Bachorz
256 pages
Young Adult
September 2009
Book borrowed from my local library

 Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson

Oh gosh, I think this may just be my favorite Laurie Halse Anderson book yet! Beautifully and powerfully written. Great for students and classrooms to read together, an excellent selection for book clubs, and definitely deserving of its Cybils nod. as well as being a National Book Award finalist and the winner of the Scott O'Dell Book Award for Historical Fiction. I'm sad I didn't get to it before now, but I'm happy I don't have to wait as long for the sequel, Forge, due out this fall. 

I even loved the typeface and the deckle edging of the pages. It appeared to be out of a real journal, which just added to the overall story.  

Overall rating: 5 out of 5

Laurie Halse Anderson
320 pages
Middle Grade 
Simon & Schuster
October 2008
Book borrowed from my library 

Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

Another series that has taken me years to get to, but I'm finally fully enjoying. After listen to the full-cast audio version of The Goose Girl, I was really excited to do the same for Enna. It's delightful to listen to the different voices, almost as if you're watching a movie with your eyes closed. I was a little disappointed in Finn's voice...he sounded like a complete wimp, but I was pleased with everyone else. 

Bayern is a wonderful land, filled with fantasy and magic. I definitely recommend listening to these books, but if you're like me and can only get the first two on audio (or none of them), at least pick up the book versions. I'm off to read River Secrets next!
Overall rating: 4 out of 5

Enna Burning
Shannon Hale
Audio CD
November 2009
Borrowed from my library


Jill of The O.W.L. said...

I have Candor on my shelf. I've got to read it!

Abby said...

Yaaaaay for Chains!

3T said...

All three great reads!

(And why do you always seem to get the Chinese spammers?)

Amanda said...

I get at least 30 attempts of Chinese spam on my older posts, but those are moderated. I try not to let any slip through on the new ones, but they're darn persistent!

Sarah said...

Like you, I was reading late into the night for Candor. It was fantastic! I can't wait to book talk it.

Kailana said...

Apparently I need to read Chains. I have read Enna Burning. It wasn't my favourite book by her, but I still really enjoy her.

Amanda said...

Oh you should most definitely read Chains! It was so well written!