Happy New Year!! Aren't you just feeling so blessed to have survived 2009? We had a busy, yet incredibly productive year here in the Snow house and are definitely looking forward to starting a new chapter of life in this new year. And that includes some changes for A Patchwork of Books.
First, let's look at the year in review:
-Back in January of last year, when typing up my goals for 2009, I had this (what I thought was) insane goal to read 250 books. Well, I read 256 books. Yep, 256. Crazy. And I don't want to do it again.
-Most of the titles I read were Young Adult fiction. I did read a lot of middle grade, but the amount of Adult titles, both fiction and non-fiction were limited. I definitely want to mix up the genres a bit more this coming year and add more adult titles, for sure.
-I participated in a bunch of challenges, almost none of which I actually completed. Probably not entering many this year...I don't like the commitment.
-I started Twittering to promote the blog a bit. @apatchworkofbks if you're interested.
Onto the resolutions and changes for 2010...
There are going to be some changes here at A Patchwork of Books. Mostly small, but all will impact how things will run for the next year, and hopefully will bring in more readers and leave me feeling more accomplished with the reviews and musings I'm providing for all of you. Since September, I've felt as if I've been in somewhat of a blog rut. I haven't been in the mood to write long reviews and a lot of the time I haven't even wanted to read, mainly because I was trying to review absolutely everything I read. So things definitely need a change-up and I'm hoping my mood concerning keeping up the blog will be lifted. I want to love it again!
So, these are a few of the things I'm going to change:
1. I'm no longer going to review every single book that I read. Last year, my resolution was to do just that. Review everything, good or bad. Well I've started weaning myself from that this Fall...I was spending a whole lot more time writing notes for reviews, writing tasteful "negative" reviews, planning when I'm going to fit every single thing in, that blogging kinda lost it's magic.
I'm only will be writing about books that I really enjoyed and want to share with all of you. If there are little parts to a book that I didn't really like, that's fine, but if I felt strong dislike for the overall book, I'm not going to review it.
2. I'll also be making some updates to my review policy. More to come on that later.
3. I want to be a bit more informative when it comes to Children's/YA book news. I read a whole bunch of different informative sources, but usually only pass along the most exciting information, but would really like to have a weekly post to fill you in on all sorts of news around the book world and the Kidlitosphere in general.
4. I'm toying with the idea of doing a rating system with reviews, but haven't totally decide on that yet.
5. I'm also considering a feature for Sundays, focusing on Christian Fiction and Non-Fiction. But not sure on that yet either.
So look for some changes, nothing too crazy. And hopefully it will be a great blogging year for me. And all of you too of course!