Friday, January 1, 2010

A look back at 2009 and changes for 2010

Happy New Year!! Aren't you just feeling so blessed to have survived 2009? We had a busy, yet incredibly productive year here in the Snow house and are definitely looking forward to starting a new chapter of life in this new year. And that includes some changes for A Patchwork of Books.

First, let's look at the year in review:

-Back in January of last year, when typing up my goals for 2009, I had this (what I thought was) insane goal to read 250 books. Well, I read 256 books. Yep, 256. Crazy. And I don't want to do it again.

-Most of the titles I read were Young Adult fiction. I did read a lot of middle grade, but the amount of Adult titles, both fiction and non-fiction were limited. I definitely want to mix up the genres a bit more this coming year and add more adult titles, for sure. 

-I participated in a bunch of challenges, almost none of which I actually completed. Probably not entering many this year...I don't like the commitment.

-I started Twittering to promote the blog a bit. @apatchworkofbks if you're interested.

Onto the resolutions and changes for 2010...

There are going to be some changes here at A Patchwork of Books. Mostly small, but all will impact how things will run for the next year, and hopefully will bring in more readers and leave me feeling more accomplished with the reviews and musings I'm providing for all of you. Since September, I've felt as if I've been in somewhat of a blog rut. I haven't been in the mood to write long reviews and a lot of the time I haven't even wanted to read, mainly because I was trying to review absolutely everything I read.  So things definitely need a change-up and I'm hoping my mood concerning keeping up the blog will be lifted. I want to love it again!

So, these are a few of the things I'm going to change:

1. I'm no longer going to review every single book that I read. Last year, my resolution was to do just that. Review everything, good or bad. Well I've started weaning myself from that this Fall...I was spending a whole lot more time writing notes for reviews, writing tasteful "negative" reviews, planning when I'm going to fit every single thing in, that blogging kinda lost it's magic.

I'm only will be writing about books that I really enjoyed and want to share with all of you. If there are little parts to a book that I didn't really like, that's fine, but if I felt strong dislike for the overall book, I'm not going to review it.

2. I'll also be making some updates to my review policy. More to come on that later.

3. I want to be a bit more informative when it comes to Children's/YA book news. I read a whole bunch of different informative sources, but usually only pass along the most exciting information, but would really like to have a weekly post to fill you in on all sorts of news around the book world and the Kidlitosphere in general.

4. I'm toying with the idea of doing a rating system with reviews, but haven't totally decide on that yet.

5. I'm also considering a feature for Sundays, focusing on Christian Fiction and Non-Fiction. But not sure on that yet either.

So look for some changes, nothing too crazy. And hopefully it will be a great blogging year for me. And all of you too of course!


J. Kaye said...

As a reader, I like the idea of having a rating. It gives me something to go on if I don't read the review. Many times I don't if the book is one of my upcoming reads.

Happy New Year!

Becky said...

Happy New Year, Amanda! I think the changes you'll be making will be good-and-healthy ones! I've struggled with the-review-everything-policy myself. I'm afraid to change and afraid of burn out all at the same time if that makes any sense :)

Staci said...

I like the ideas that you set down for yourself. Why do we put so much pressure on ourselves??? Girl, just relax and enjoy what you're comes through in your reviews. Like J.Kaye I love ratings on books and I think I will do that for all of my reviews not just my Six Sentence Saturday reviews. Plus, I'm going with shorter/concise reviews. People have a lot to do and I don't want to bog them down with so much verbage about a book they just may want to read. I like to experience the story for I look for reviews that tease me a bit and make me interested, not ones that tell me everything that happens! Wow, I just wrote an essay didn't I???

Have a wonderful and fulfilling 2010!!!

P.S. I look forward to whatever you do plan to do on Sundays!

Abby said...

Happy New Year! Sounds like some good resolutions! I definitely don't review everything I read on my blog and I can see how that would take some of the magic out.

I'm also going to read more adult fiction this year. I only read a couple in 2009 and I know I'm missing out on some great books!

Jenn said...

Happy New Year! I don't review each book I read and that helps me to keep up with my blog. I hope that this change also makes you feel more enthusiastic about blogging again!

Amanda said...

Thanks for all the support! I feel guilty not writing about a book... why I'm not sure, but I really thought about it and know that I'll give more of myself to the blog and the reviews if I focus only on books I really liked.

Mama Librarian said...

Thanks for your look back post -- you inspired me to write one, too. It's been so much fun reading all your reviews, but I agree that's A LOT of books to read... I am really impressed and glad you're not going to put yourself through that again. =)

Maureen Hume said...

Hey Amanda, I wish a great new year for you.
I really like your idea of not reviewing books you don't like. For most of us it's impossible to do a negative review in a nice way and still feel good about it. So that's a whole pile of bad Karma tossed out the window.
I enjoy reading your reviews, but not at the expense of your serenity.
Only do what makes you happy.

Ladybug said...

Happy New Year, Amanda! I have a lot of unfinished challenges behind me as well.. oh well the most important thing is to read something you like, without feeling any pressure.

I like your ideas for changes :) Looking forward to follow you in 2010!

Janice Robertson said...

Happy New Year. I hope 2010 is filled with books you find great. I have to agree with you about only reviewing books you find great. I've been using that policy on my blog because I don't want to waste people's time having them read about a book I didn't like. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean they won't, but time is too precious to dwell on the not so good stuff. Good thoughts.
I do feel it necessary to review books that have been sent to me for free though, even if I didn't like them that much.

Anonymous said...

Sofortzugang Cams

Amateur Videos

Privat Sexcams

SWIRL said...

I am so glad I tumbled onto your site! I am always looking for good YA books! I have 4 boys who are reluctant readers.