Saturday, January 2, 2010

My favorites of 2009...

I've been working on this list for awhile, but definitely didn't want to post until after the New Year...I mean, who knew what I would read in the last few days of 2009 that could have been fantastic?! So...it's the 2nd and I'm putting Picture Book Saturday on hold for one more week and finally sharing my favorites of 2009 with you.

 Do you have any idea how hard it is to pick favorites? Or to narrow them down? Well...yes, you do, most of you have posted about your favorites already, so you understand what this is like. I don't necessarily like to play favorites, but I suppose it's part of what I do...and it's fun to look back and remember how much I enjoyed some of these. 

Now, let me explain how I came to these conclusions. None of the lists are in any particular order, I just went through my list of books read this year and decided what had really stuck with me or what I really, really enjoyed. Some are kinda literary, some are fluffy beach reads. My absolute favorites are listed as such and then I also included an Honorable Mention section for all of those that I really liked. 

If you have your own favorite lists, leave a link in the comments, I would love to see them!

Favorite Adult reads:

Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter
The Moment Between by Nicole Baart
Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister
The Summer Kitchen by Karen Weinreb


Honorable Mentions:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs
Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult

Favorite Picture Book reads:

I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll
The Snow Day by Komako Sakai
A Mighty Fine Time Machine by Suzanne Bloom
Let's Do Nothing by Tony Fucile
The Curious Garden by Peter Brown
Sylvie by Jennifer Sattler
Just How Long Can a String Be by Keith Baker
Little Oink by Amy Krause Rosenthal
Spoon by Amy Krause Rosenthal
Birds by Kevin Henkes

Honorable Mentions

Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems
The Sleepy Alphabet by Judy Sierra
My Mom is Trying to Ruin My Life by Kate Feiffer



Favorite Middle Grade reads:

 The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine
Also Known as Harper by Ann Haywood Leal
The Naming of Tishkin Silk by Glenda Millard
Notes from the Dog by Gary Paulsen
The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo

Honorable Mentions:

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
Ring of Fire by P.D. Baccalario
Extra Credit by Andrew Clements


Favorite Young Adult reads:

North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley
Blue Plate Special by Michelle D. Kwasney
Fire by Kristin Cashore
Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork
Funny How Things Change by Melissa Wyatt
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford
The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon

Honorable Mentions:

Graceling by Kristin Cashore
The Miles Between by Mary E. Pearson
Mare's War by Tanita S. Davis
Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor
Geektastic: Stories From the Nerd Herd by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci
If I Grow Up by Todd Strasser
Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

3 comments:

Staci said...

You have some great picks there for 2009!!! And surprisingly enough I've read quite a few of them too, except for the children's books!! LOL!!

Jeanne said...

This is a great list, thank you! I loved The School of Essential Ingredients and The Guernsey and Potato Peel Pie Literary Society. I have given both many times over for gifts. I have not heard of the others in your top lists. That is good news!
Thanks for a great post!
Jeanne :)

Lisa said...

I just finished The Year of Living Biblically over the weekend and while I liked it, I can't say it was a favorite. It took me months to finish.

You have quite a few YA that are on my TBR, but I never seem to get around to everything I want to read!