Monday, January 18, 2010

Non-Fiction Monday: The Wonders Inside Bugs & Spiders

Such a cool book! You and your bug-loving kiddos could spend hours paging through the fantastic illustrations (and you might just learn something from all the facts too) and shouting out the fun...and often gross...facts.

A whole team of individuals over at Silver Dolphin books have put this unique book together, combining facts on all types of bugs and spiders, with artsy learning methods, like transparencies between pages that allow the reader to visualize things like the inside of a beehive, the transformation from caterpillar to butterfly, and the working parts of a locust. There are also 3-D cross-sections that really get inside the habitats of these creatures. You'll find yourself flipping the entire book sideways, trying to get the best view, getting an insider's look into these amazing worlds of different bugs and spiders.

As I was reading through, I found myself exclaiming several times to my husband, "Hun, did you know...?" just because I found some of the facts so interesting. Take for instance termites. Eew. They may be gross, but man are those little buggers (pun intended for sure) hardworking! "In Australia, termites build mounds of mud 25 feet tall and 100 feet wide. Belowground, a mound can be 225 feet deep." Can you BELIEVE that? Craziness.

I was really overly impressed with this book and would highly recommend it for all libraries to have on hand (and you'll probably want a couple of copies). I loved the interactive nature of the transparent pages and the scattering of short-but-sweet facts around the pages.

Overall rating: 5 out of 5
A great non-fiction choice for your bug lovers...and even those (like me!) that aren't so into bugs.
The Wonders Inside Bugs & Spiders
80 pages
Silver Dolphin Books
August 2009
Review copy received from publisher

To learn more, or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a tiny commission from your purchase.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. I can't tell you how many books I have checked out at the library or purchased on Amazon based on your reviews. My oldest son adores non-fiction, this will be a fabulous addition to our home library. Thanks!