Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The One-Day Way review

Jacket description:
"The One-Day Way produces lasting results by taking you back to basics. No more complicated weight-loss strategies. No more expensive diet plans that acieve only temporary results. Instead, you will lose weight and get fit with Chantel's simple, high-energy meal plans and her at home program for cardio exericse and strength training. She will teach you how to change the way you think, which leads to new actions. Before you know it, you will be strong, fit, and healthy. All it takes is doing things differently for twenty-four hours - and then repeating it.


By focusing on food, faith, and fitness, Chantel shows you not only how to lose weight, but how to build the new life you were designed to live."

This time of year, men and women all over the place are making the resolution to really get healthy and stick to a great lifestyle plan. I'm there too...always wanting to be in better shape and have a better mindset. This book really does focus on just one day of your life, allowing you to really forgive yourself if you mess up and eat a huge hot fudge sundae (and have pizza and soda). Taking your diet, like God advises us to take life, one day at a time, can help change your entire mindset on what it really means to get healthy.
Hobbs gives us the Ten Commandments of getting fit for life, she throws in personal examples of those the plan has worked for, She also gives us a cardio plan, strength training moves, and eating plans.

The one aspect of the book that I really loved is that Hobbs has lived what a lot of us are living. She was once 200lbs heavier and lost that weight using her own One-Day plan. I've never liked being told how to lose weight by someone who has never struggled with eating and fitness, but she's been there, done that.

One of the most important things I took away from this was the idea of food for fuel only. We've all heard this a million times, "we should eat to live, not live to eat," but in reality, how many of us actually do that? My husband and I planned our entire cross-country move around restaurants we wanted to try along the way! I love food and I love variety, but Hobbs emphasizes that it really doesn't matter if you eat the same boring thing every day. The food you eat doesn't have to be exciting, as it's only fuel. Great points...I will hopefully remember that!

When I heard this was a faith-based book, I was really excited. And though it does refer to some Scripture verses and talks about "faith" a lot, I was a little disappointed as to the lack of Scriptural references. I was hoping for a more Biblical basis, rather than just references. Hobbs' personal story is definitely an inspiration on its own, so if that's what you're looking for, you're all set!

I also thought the beginning was a bit long and the author started repeating the same things she had stated in previous chapters. Bringing in the eating/cardio/strength aspects a little sooner would have made my reading a little more enjoyable I think. Not that it wasn't enjoyable...just a little longer than necessary. 

Though I haven't started the plan yet, I do see how this could be an awesome mind-set to take on and how it really could lead to success. Hopefully we'll all be nice and healthy by the end of 2010!

 Rating: 3 out of 5

The One-Day Way
Chantel Hobbs
224 pages
Christian Non-Fiction
Waterbrook Press

9780307458780
October 2009
Review copy received from publisher


To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a tiny commission for your purchase. Thanks!

3 comments:

Staci said...

My review for this one goes up Thursday. I enjoyed reading it and will refer to it....now if I could just get her to be my personal trainer!!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Hi Amanda,
Stop by my blog sometime tomorrow. I have a little something for you there...
Caroline

Amanda said...

Oooh Caroline...now I'm excited :)