Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thrilling new series for teens

Jacket description:
"On New Year's Eve Cal is chased down the street by a staggering, sick man with a deadly warning...

They killed your father. They'll kill you. You must survive the next 365 days!

Hurled into a life on the run, with a price on his head, the 15-year-old fugitive is isolated and alone. Hunted by the law and ruthless criminals, Cal must somehow uncover the truth about his father's mysterious death and a history-changing secret. Who can he turn to, who can he trust, when the whole world seems to want him dead?

The clock is ticking. Any second could be his last."

Well if you have a reluctant reader on your hands, look no further! Packed full of thrills, Conspiracy 365: January is an absolute page turner. I had a really hard time setting it down to go do those "adult" things I'm forced to do, like make dinner and fold the laundry (one of those perils of adulthood). You cannot help but want to know what happens next, especially with the series being setup into months, with one being published each month of this year. It's like the show "24" in book form, which means I might even be able to get my husband to read it. I think he has a man-crush on Kiefer Sutherland.

I do have some criticisms, unfortunately. The writing was less-than-stellar and the dialogue felt incredibly forced. Especially with Cal's mom and his Uncle Rafe. Nothing that came out of their mouth seemed realistic, it all felt like a script. And the overall plot, is not at all believable and though we have fantasy books fill us up with angels/vampires/werewolves all the time and we aren't expected to believe that, it has to be written realistically. So, my main point I guess, is that the writing isn't fabulous.

That being said, it's not going to stop you from continuing to turn the pages and fall deep into Cal's story. Gabrielle Lord has created a fantastic concept that is going to suck you in and not let you go until next December. And they are short, quick reads...again, great for a reluctant reader.

Recommended for school and library shelves. I think you'll have a hard time keeping these in, so order two!

Rating: 4 out of 5
Though I had some criticisms, I'm rating based on how much I enjoyed the book. Me. Moi. Not how much I think others will like it, but just me. And I thought it was really likable, despite the flaws.

To learn more, or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a tiny portion of your purchase price.

Conspiracy 365: January
Gabrielle Lord
192 pages
Young Adult
Kane/Miller Publisher
January 2010
Review copy received from publisher


Myne Whitman said...

I like thrillers and this looks interesting.

Staci said...

My son would probably enjoy this series!!

Abby said...

I think the thing that bothered me the most about this book was that I found the posting of the times really distracting. Like, did I really need to know that at 3:13 he walked into the house and at 3:17 he heard footsteps behind him (for example)? No, I do not. I just kept getting distracted trying to figure out if a storm at sea would really last 5+ hours, etc.

Amanda said...

Abby, I totally agree. There were some definite flaws and irritating factors.

max said...

It's so important to draw attention to reading, and attract reluctant readers to it,especially boys. In fact, I've recently completed a feature magazine article on this subject that came out in October, "Help for Struggling, Reluctant Readers."

I grew up as a reluctant reader, in spite of the fact that my father published over 70 books. Now I write action-adventures & mysteries, especially for tween boys, that avid boy readers and girls enjoy just as much.

My blog, Books for Boys is dedicated to drawing attention to the importance of reading. And I have a new book, Lost Island Smugglers, coming out in June.

Keep up your good work.

Max Elliot Anderson

Jeff said...

I enjoyed it and am looking forward to February. Keeping in mind they are written for the young. They have some neat collectible bookmarks and posters at