Monday, January 11, 2010

What have I been up to?

Whew! 2010 is starting off busy, that's for sure! I'm having a hard time getting into a schedule for my blogging after changing up how I want to run my reviews/postings, but that's ok. It's nice to take it slowly once in awhile. I promise I'll be back this Saturday with my usual Picture Book Saturday feature and next Monday with Non-Fiction Monday.

The last week has been spent working on our house, doing little things, trying to spend as little money as possible to make the most when we sell it. I'm sure some of you have been there. When we moved here to the D.C. area, we only decided to buy a house because the market was perfect (lots for sale and cheap), we wanted a credit builder, and we knew we would be here for 4 years without the possibility of a quick military move. And we thought we could make some money. Will be putting this back on the market in about 2 1/2 half years, so we still have some time.

So...little by little, things are a'changing around here. As soon as we moved in, we painted everything neutral colors, added stainless steel appliances to the kitchen, changed out the carpet (the choice of which, was a big mistake on my part...more on that later), and started working on the yard. This past week, we changed out the front door to something that lets in more light and adds some curb appeal. Next is the trim around the door inside, the entryway tile, and trim downstairs.

What have I learned from this ever-changing experience? Well, first, don't buy carpet that is of the "Berber" type if you have dogs. The salesman warned us, but I thought he just wanted us to buy the more expensive stuff. He wasn't lying...dog nails and collars get caught in the loops of the carpet and pull up entire strands. A $2,000 mistake on my part. Sigh.

Second, I've learned that if you want to sit down and read a book or blog...the mess from the current reno will make you feel incredibly guilty.

So that folks, is what I've been up to.

Pretty soon there will be a new blog look here...and when that comes, a BIG giveaway comes with it! So look for an awesome prize pack here in the next week or so!

3 comments:

Jennie said...

When we moved into our place, we loved that most of the house was beige-- a great neutral color that matched everything but was much better than a boring, flat white. 3.5 years later, we're finally painting to get some color in! But I love the non-white neutral for houses on the market. After all, it did take 3.5 years for us to finally say do something about it...

3T said...

I want to get rid of our carpet completely, but can't until we close. In the meantime, the brand new high-performing vacuum cleaner we bought in October has been taken apart and thoroughly cleaned a dozen times. It would probably be easier and cheaper to just shave the dogs...and the kids!

Staci said...

Renovation can be fun and horrible all at the same time!!