Thursday, January 21, 2010

YA you need to read

Over at Abby (the) Librarian, I learned about an Unsung YA blog blitz, happening today, put on by YAnnabe. Cool huh? I know that I have piles of books each year, that I loved and cherished, but not a whole lot of others got their hands on. This is our chance, as YA readers and bloggers, to share some of those titles and hopefully they will find their way into the hands of book lovers and truly get the attention they deserve. Browse the other blogs (meet some new bloggers!), and add some of their picks to your teetering TBR piles!

Another note about my list, they're all rather new, written in the last couple of years. I've only been doing this blog for about 3 years now and before that, I stuck to mainly reading adult fiction and picture books, as I was working toward a Children's Librarian position. And when I was actually a teen, I had access to a tiny library system that only purchased the newest and most popular titles, leaving me with Cooney, Pike, Pascal, and McDaniel as my authors of choice. Not exactly unsung.

So, without further blabbering, these are a few that I think everyone needs to read. Links to reviews I've written (if there is one) are included.

Blue Plate Special by Michelle D. Kwasney: I raved about it in my review Tuesday and I'll be raving about it for years. It's on the Cybils shortlist this year, so others obviously agree with me.


The Opposite of Invisible by Liz Gallagher: I read this one for last year's Cybils and still find myself referring to it when I need to give a recommendation. Really loved the artsy aspects and the honest romance.

Thaw by Monica M. Roe: Another from last year's Cybils. This one has a protagonist that I just loved to hate. Another I'm always recommending.

Sister Wife by Shelley Hrdlitschka: I thought this was such and honest and interesting look into a polygamist lifestyle, without criticizing their beliefs. Three very different women and three very different viewpoints on the life they are meant to lead. 

Funny How Things Change by Melissa Wyatt: This was one of my favorites of this year. Such a simple story and a quiet main character, but filled with heart and soul. Plus, I was a big fan of the setting of this one. Something new!

How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford: I don't usually like to use the same words over and over again to describe a book, but "quirky" is definitely my descriptive term of choice for this one. It's getting a bit more recognition being on the Cybils shortlist, but it deserves a whole lot more!

If I Grow Up by Todd Stasser: A difficult book to read, topic-wise, but so necessary. This is the way a lot kids live out their lives every day in this country and Strasser gave a pure voice to that.

I think that's it for now! I really hope you'll add at least one of these to your TBR list and make sure to check out YAnnabe's blog for more lists!

12 comments:

Lenore said...

How to Say Goodbye in Robot is in my TBR. Soon!

I, like you, had a steady diet of Pike as a teen.

Staci said...

You have some great titles there!! A few are even on my TBR list!

3T said...

Just finished "Funny How Things Change", and loved it. Good books with male protagonists are so hard to find, and this one went into a lot of important growing up issues without being heavy-handed or trite. I liked the setting too, and how it fit into the whole theme of what other people think your goals should be vs. figuring them out for yourself.

Sarah said...

While I wasn't a big fan of How to Say Good-Bye in Robot, I have to say, it is moving in my library so that's exciting. I have The Opposite of Invisible on my TBR pile and I'll have to check into the others.

theothererin said...

Happy to see Sister Wife on your list. I'm curious about How to Say Goodbye in Robot- I've heard mixed reviews.

Emily said...

Sister Wife is on my list, too. I really loved it! Glad to see it on another list.

Abby said...

I'm reading How to Say Goodbye in Robot right now and quirky is definitely a good word to describe it. Also, no spoilers, but WHAT is going on with her mom?! It's been my at-work-on-my-lunch-break book, but I'll probably finish it tomorrow.

Kelly said...

Ooh, I bet I will like How to Say Goodbye in Robot then if it's in the quirky category!

Great list, thanks for putting this together on such short notice today!

Patti said...

I loved Funny How Things Change. Totally underrated! Great list!

towerofbooks said...

I completely agree with Funny How Things Change!

Anastasia said...

How to Say Goodbye in Robot sounds familiar-- I'm sure I must have read about it somewhere, although I haven't actually read it myself.

Melissa Walker said...

HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT is on my list too! And I just read BLUE PLATE SPECIAL and definitely agree! Great list!