Sunday, February 28, 2010

February Mini-Reviews

If you've never seen one of my Mini-review features, here's the synopsis: Reviews are of books that have already been reviewed about a million times by other bloggers and/or titles that I just feel don't need the full synopsis and in-depth reviews as other books I've read throughout the month. Enjoy!
 



Gone by Lisa McMann

Whole lot of buzz about this third title in the Wake trilogy. I enjoyed it and felt that it wrapped the whole series up nicely, though I did miss the whole "undercover cop" aspect that was in the previous two books. I think that added a hard edge to a rather dream-focused plot.

I think McMann creates believable characters, even if their stories are fantasy. Definitely a hard talent to achieve, but it shows in her writing.

Overall rating: 4 out of 5


Gone
Lisa McMann
224 pages
Young Adult
Simon Pulse
9781416979180
February 2010
Review copy received from publisher

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent (audio)

This was the first audiobook that I listened to this month and I enjoyed both the reader,  Mare Winningham, and the plot. I really liked the main character being a child, telling the story of her family's witch trials from her innocent eyes, and the morphing of her feelings toward her doomed mother felt incredibly realistic.

I will say that the story is dark, depressing, and understandably sad, so if you're looking for something hoped-filled, The Heretic's Daughter is not for you. Listening to it, there were some moments I found my mind drifting away, but overall, the reader, the reading, and the overall story were very good.

Overall rating: 4 out of 5

The Heretic's Daughter
Kathleen Kent
Audio Book
Hachette Audio
9781600248238
October 2009
Borrowed from my local library

The View From Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg (audio)

Yeah, yeah...one of the last librarians on earth to read this book (and I listened to it), but because of the Fill in the Gaps Challenge, I finally got to it. Do I think it was worthy of a Newbery Medal? Maybe. I didn't find it excellent...it was good...but I don't remember what else was published that year to correctly tell you if I thought something else was better.

The reading was done by a full cast, some of whom were good and others not-so-good. The plot was unique and interesting, though some of the vocabulary the kids used I didn't buy for a second. And I can't really imagine 6th graders successfully having a tea party. So, for me, the believability was pretty low. Interesting though, I definitely wanted to hear what happened next.

Overall rating: 3 out of 5

The View From Saturday
E.L. Konigsburg
Audio Book
Simon & Schuster Audio
9780743597135
December 2009
Borrowed from my local library


To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!

2 comments:

Janssen said...

Oh, how I love The View from Saturday. I wonder if the audio affected how much you enjoyed it.

Anna M. said...

one of our students suggest the Heretic's Daughter during our Book Club meeting...4 out of 5 sounds good to me. I can't wait for our order to come in!