Friday, February 26, 2010

Poetry Friday: Think Again

Jacket description:
"This collection of quietly beautiful and surprisingly humorous short poems reveals first love's uncertainties, frustrations, and joys. Whether describing two people meeting or the misunderstandings and revelations that follow, these poems and the evocative illustrations that accompany them will give readers every reason to think...and think again."

The jacket description really does say what I was thinking about these poems. They're definitely short and so quietly beautiful. You can read the entire book in minutes, though you'll want to go back again and again, learning new things from each reread of the poems. My favorites? "Losing Track of Myself," "The Heart," and "Pleasant."
The Heart

"Make sure that your heart

Isn't too well defended:

Your heart is designed

To be broken and mended"

At first, I wasn't sure I liked the illustrations, they seemed too plain, however after thinking about it for awhile, I really believe the simplicity of the drawings brings out the simplicity of the poems. Obviously poet JonArno Lawson and illustrator Julie Morstad knew what they were doing! :)

Overall rating: 4 out of 5
I'm not much of a poetry judge, I can only tell you what I like. And I liked this a lot.

Think Again
JonArno Lawson
64 pages
Kids Can Press
March 2010
Review copy received from publisher

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!


Laura said...

The poem is lovely. Thanks for sharing this book. I will look it up at the library.

Laura Evans

Sherry said...

I thought since you enjoy poetry (and can tell what you like) that I'd invite you to contribute your list of favorite poems to my survey. Read more about it here: