Friday, February 19, 2010

Poetry Friday: We Troubled the Waters

Jacket description:
"Jim Crow; Brown v. Board of Education; Bull Connor; KKK; Birmingham; the Lorraine Motel; Rosa; Martin; and Malcolm.

From slavery to the separation of "colored" and "white" and from horrifying oppression to inspiring courage, there are countless stories-both forgotten and immortalized-of everyday and extraordinary people who acted for justice during the civil rights movement that changed our nation."

I am not a connoisseur of poetry by any means. I'm not really a reader of poetry outside the children's book world. But, I do know what I like when I see it and I really liked this book. Poet Ntozake Shange and illustrator Rod Brown have created an awesome collection of poems and paintings that truly encompass the civil rights movement. From the expressions on the face of Martin Luther King Jr., to the power shown in the poem, "Crying Trees" and its accompanying illustrator, there is just SO much in such a short book.
The poetry is fantastic and the gorgeous paintings are just so incredibly. I feel I should warn parents that a couple of the paintings are a bit mature for children, but they show real events that happened to African Americans during this movement. Just browse through the book before reading it with your children.

Overall rating: 5 out of 5
I just cannot stop raving about the amazing package this book is. It better win something this year! A great choice for the classroom as a discussion guide.

We Troubled the Waters
Ntozake Shange
32 pages
October 2009
Review copy received from publisher

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!


Laura said...

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for listing this book. I will look it up.

Laura Evans

Sandie Lee said...

Your blog is beautiful and being a bookworm myself, very informative.

Thanks :)

Stephanie said...

This sounds like a lovely book! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Amanda said...

Thanks for all the sweet words everyone!