Monday, February 8, 2010

Some book news and a new look!

As you can see, I've changed up the look here at A Patchwork of Books and am really liking it so far! The header may change a bit in the next week or so and the dimensions still need some tweaking, but for now it's looking nice and updated. I have to extend thanks to my good friend, Katie at Katie's Literature Lounge who designed the  header and Izzie Grace blog for the background. I've needed an update for a looong time and since I'm getting close to 200 followers, now would be the perfect time to be fresh and modern.

Some bookish announcements for the week...

Abby at Abby (the) Librarian and Kelly of Stacked have announced the newish book meme to hit the Kidlitosphere, with AudioSynched. Each month they'll be alternating hosting a roundup of all the audiobooks us bloggers are listening to, helping to give us ideas of what to listen to next. Great idea, eh? Starting March 1, head over to Stacked and link your post to the roundup! Thanks to Abby (the) Librarian for the link.


A Fuse #8 Production, one of the most informative (and hilarious) kidlit blogs around, recently asked us all to submit our favorite chapter books EVER for her Top 100 Chapter Book poll. The countdown begins today with numbers 100-91. Go check it out and see if your favorite made the list!

Apparently President Obama has lost his mind and proposed the elimination of federal funding to Reading Is Fundamental. Carol Rasco, CEO of RIF blogs about the announcement and encourages us all to contact our congressional representatives to continue this vital program in our country.

The Guardian has an awesome interview with author Rick Riordan (of Percy Jackson fame) about his son's dyslexia and ADHD preventing him from enjoying reading. Well Mr. Percy Jackson's story helped fix that! Thanks to PW Children's Bookshelf for the link.

And my own news...

I survived another big snowstorm! Again, nothing on a good Upstate NY storm, but for the Northern VA area, this 30 inches was huge. We kept our power and water and only lost 2 trees in the backyard. We were blessed with a forced relaxation-filled weekend and even were given snow days from work today. Awesome! Here are some photos of our weekend in the snow:

My bulldog, Zoey, was swimming in it...it measured about twice over her head! The first photo is actually of the street in front of our house, though you can't tell there is even a road out there. And the pretty sunset photo was taken by Aaron once it finally stopped. Pretty eh?

12 comments:

ANovelMenagerie said...

Bulldog is so cute in the snow! I'm taking my two dogs up to the mountains (with snow)this weekend. I can't wait!

Sarah said...

Firstly, I love the new look! I love the orange and brown hues.

Secondly, what?? President Obama is proposing this?? That seems so hard to believe but it's obviously happening. :\

Susan said...

LOVE the new look, especially the cross-stitch style lettering on the header. Cute, cute, cute!

All that snow - wow! It really is beautiful. Glad you guys stayed safe and were able to have a little stay-cay.

Jill of The O.W.L. said...

Great new layout. Super cute!

Sheila Beaumont said...

I too love the new look! And thanks especially for the link to the Rick Riordan interview. I really enjoy the Percy Jackson series (and his adult mysteries are excellent too).

Jeane said...

I didn't know you were so nearby! I'm up in Sterling- luckily we didn't loose power either, although there's tree limbs down all over the place. Love the photos!

I can't believe Obama is removing that program. What a shame.

Laza said...

Love the new look. We got 25 where I'm at in Arlington!!! Crazy!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I hadn't heard the news about RIF. Awful news if that funding does get eliminated.

I like your new look, especially the cross-stitch design on top!

Amanda said...

Thanks guys for all of the sweet comments! I love the new background too!

CeeCee said...

I love your new look. Sorry about the trees. How can they cut RIF!

Jen Robinson said...

Love the new look, Amanda! It's beautiful, and perfect for your blog. And thanks for the Rick Riordan interview link - I had somehow missed that.

valerie said...

Love the new look! and the pretty snowy-day pics too :)