Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Epitaph Road (YA review)

Jacket description:
"In 2067, an airborne virus wiped out 97 percent of the male population. Thirty years later, women rule the world and have ushered in a new golden age on Earth. Poverty, crime, war, and hunger have all disappeared. Growing up in this utopia, fourteen-year-old Kellen Dent feels isolated as one of the few males alive.

When a rumored outbreak of the virus threatens Kellen's outcast father, he knows that he must warn him of the coming danger. During his desperate race to find his dad, Kellen uncovers a secret so frightening that his life and the future of the world will never be the same."

I really enjoyed this one from David Patneaude. I felt the concept was unique, the dialogue very believable, and the characters, especially our MC, Kellen, were likable. I thought the author did an excellent job at creating a goosebump-inducing plot and filling it with enough twists and turns to keep us guessing. I love a good post-apocalyptic story and this one was creepy enough for me to really like.

It dragged in a few areas and was quite as exciting and page-turning as I had hoped, but I was engrossed in the story from start to finish and interested in what came next.
I do have to saw, I'm a bit disappointed in the cover change from the ARC to what appears to be the finished book on Amazon. I loved the cover (that was the first note I took) with an actual visual of Epitaph Road and the thousands of crosses. The new one is kinda boring. But...the publishing date isn't until March 23rd, so maybe I'll be surprised again.

Overall rating: 3 out of 5
If you're a fan of Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer or anything of the like, definitely check it out.

Epitaph Road
David Patneaude
272 pages
Young Adult Fiction
March 2010
Review copy received from publisher

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!


holly cupala said...

I've read some of David's other work and am very interested to read this one - thanks for reviewing it, Amanda! I agree about the cover. The original image was quite striking. Wonder what the rationale was for changing it?

Sarahbear9789 said...

I have this in my TBR pile. I look amazing and I can't wait to read it. Great review!

Susan said...

This sounds fascinating. I love Susan Beth Pfeffer, so I'm going to have to check this one out. Thanks for the review!

Jill of The O.W.L. said...

I just found this one and it sounds great. Thanks for the reveiw on it! I shared it with my class and my boys weren't too happy with it :)