Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March Audiobooks

I was able to get a lot of "audio" reading done this month, finishing three, and really loving two of those three. Head on over to and link your audiobook reviews at Audiosynced, this month at Abby (the) Librarian.

Frindle by Andrew Clements

I know, I know, I'm a librarian and I have yet to make my way through Andrew Clements' books. Each one that I've actually read, I've loved, and this one was probably my favorite. The reader, John Fleming, did a great job and kept me completely engaged from start to finish.

This is a quick read and a great choice for a family road trip. You could make it through a couple of books this length in a few hours.

Audiobook borrowed from my local library

 The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

I'm going to really push this one on you! I've read the book and was just using the audio version as a refresher in anticipation of The Dead Tossed Waves. I didn't count on being completely taken in by the reader, Vane Millon, and feeling as if I was really experiencing the story for the first time. This reader is the BEST reader I have ever come across and I'm going to be frantically searching for more titles she's read.

One of the few times I'll actually say that the audio version was better than the actual book. Loved it!

Audiobook borrowed from my local library

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Unfortunately, this is the one that I didn't enjoy quite as much as the others. I know that so many of you just love this book and it may be because I listened to the audio rather than reading, but I really felt the entire story was just ok. Almost cheesy at points. And the reader, Eden Reigel, sounded about 9 years old through the whole book, even when Ella was almost out of her teens.

Just not great for me. But I know that there are lots of Ella fans out there, so go check it out for yourself!

Audiobook borrowed from my local library


Mel said...

I listened to Forest of Hands and Teeth and absolutely loved it. Now I am listening to The Dead Tossed Waves and can't wait to see how this book turns out.

Terresa said...

Stumbled upon your blog and had to say "hello." I'm a Children's librarian, too. Love your blog title!!

Marken said...

Hi Dear
These books are very useful to everyone.Books give the good knowledge for all.So i like very much in this blog................
Patchwork Books

Caroline Starr Rose said...

We listened to FRINDLE on a roadtrip over Thanksgiving. It made me cry.

Shelley said...

I love good audio book recommendations! I'll have to find Forest of Hands and Teeth because that's one I've wanted to read. I have heard similar opinions about the audio of Ella Enchanted. I'll know to pass on that one.

christina said...

Oh I love Frindle! I read it out loud to my 8th graders YEARS ago and they got such a kick out of it. Just to prove that it doesn't matter the age or level of "uncoolness" kids still like to be read to when the book is great!