Wednesday, March 31, 2010

This World We Live In (YA review)

Jacket description:
"It's been a year since a meteor collided with the moon, catastrophically altering the earth's climate. For Miranda Evans, life as she knew it no longer exists. Her friends and neighbors are dead, the landscape is frozen, and food is increasingly scarce.

The struggle to survive intensifies when Miranda's father and stepmother arrive with a baby and three strangers in tow. One of the newcomers is Alex Morales, and as Miranda's complicated feelings for him turn to love, his plans for his future thwart their relationship. Then a devastating tornado hits the town of Howell, and Miranda makes a decision that will change their lives forever."

I loved Life as We Knew It and The Dead & The Gone. I felt they both were packed with thrilling moments, emotional turmoil, family drama, and (of course) some pretty scary predicaments concerning how to survive. I think I had several nightmares after finishing both of them!

This third installment just didn't really do it for me. Not a whole lot was the same thing, day after day, even once Syl, Alex, and Julie arrive on scene. Syl could have stirred up a whole bunch of trouble and at first, I thought that's what she was there for. A plot to steal food or shelter or something. But she's not. She's just there as another family member. And when Alex and Julie get there, finally meeting Miranda, which I thought would be a hugely powerful moment, was just kinda blah.

My real "issue" with This World We Live In was the nature and path of Alex and Miranda's relationship. They really disliked each other and then all of a sudden were in complete love and couldn't keep their hands off each other. Not believable to me, nor did I think it was necessary. Why did the two main characters from these awesome books have to meet AND start a romance? Do all YA books need a romance? No way! I would have really loved to have just experienced their meeting, rather than this rushed and unrealistic love affair.

Those criticisms made, Pfeffer still has a winner of a series on her hands. I've handed this teen book to three adults now (non-YA readers) and though they skeptically accepted the first, they were immediately sucked in and wanted the second. Even if this particular installment wasn't as thrilling or exciting as the first two, it left room for a fourth. I would be happy to see another one and just as eager to read it.

Overall rating: 3 out of 5
Everyone has ONE book in a series that they didn't love as much as the others right? For me, in Harry Potter it was book 5, in Twilight it was book happens.

This World We Live In
Susan Beth Pfeffer
256 pages
Young Adult
April 2010
Review copy received via Amazon Vine

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!


Myne Whitman said...

I never heard of the series before but will check them out.

Jen Robinson said...

Alex and Miranda's romance fell a little flat for me, too, Amanda. But, like you, I was still happy to read another story set in this world, and would even more happily read another one down the road.

Susan said...

I agree that the romance was kind of forced, but I think Pfeffer did a good job pointing out that many of the relationships in the end were formed more out of desperation and longing than actual passion. This was not my favorite of the books either, but I still really like this series.

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I just finished reading it this morning and I could have written this review; it is exactly how I fell about it! The day-to-day life, the weird romance that left me cold, the nothing-happening until the very end... I loved the series but it was a bit of a flat ending for me. Sorry you didn't enjoy it more!