Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Back from Chicago land!

Well guys, it's been awhile! I was only gone for like 4 days, but it feels like forever. 12+ hour drive there, long weekend, 12+hour drive back, not to mention we both ended up with really foul colds which of course gunked up our positive attitudes about the drive. Blah.

Anyways, weekend recap:

Friday we just hung out at the house with the family and then jetted over to the Batavia Public Library for toddler storytime. Let me tell...this place is my dream employment location. Absolutely beautiful library (with a coffee shop!!), awesome children's librarian, great kid's room. Neat, clean, new, fresh. Wonderful! Now if only they would plant an Air Force base there....

Saturday we "toured" downtown Chicago. The city was under a cover of clouds and fog, so the whole sightseeing thing wasn't really taking place, but it was nice to drive around and attempt to see things. We walked Navy Pier, ate at Ed Debevic's (where the service was hilarious and the food was not-so-great). Oooh and because Aaron and I are cupcake junkies, we drove over to Swirlz Cupcakes and sampled some sweets. Definitely not the best I've ever had, but decent enough. If you want the best cupcakes EVER, you must try the Half-Baked at Cake Fetish. My favorite place in the world.
Enough about cupcakes, moving on...
Sunday was our main reason for heading to Chicago. Nephew #2's baptism. Benjamin is our 2nd nephew and we are both he and Owen's Godparents. Such a blessing and an honor! We unfortunately had to miss Owen's baptism, as it happened during the year of not-so-good-things, and we had already been traveling all over the country for funerals. SO glad we got to be at this one.
And Monday was travel day. So glad to be back home, but still ill. Lovely. I actually got quite a bit of reading done, more than I had planned for sure. On the way, I started and finished The Dead Tossed Waves, which was awesome as expected. Over the weekend I started and finished For Keeps by Natasha Friend (review to come later), which was really good. And on the way home I started The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. Ooh and we also listened to The Lightning Thief, which I've been bugging my husband to read forever. SO disappointed in the audio version...but I'll review that later as well.

Overall, a great weekend! Back to the grind of job searching and all that fun stuff. Miss you all :)

6 comments:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

How funny you went to Batavia! I was born in IL and lived in Batavia til I was five-we went to that library all the time as a kid. I'm sure it's different now, but they had a "castle" you could sit in and read which I loved.

Amanda said...

No castle, but they did have a cute reading cottage! Everything looked brand new in there...my sister-in-law said the library was only a couple of years old, so maybe they rebuilt. It's SO nice!

Susan said...

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a great trip (minus the colds and the disappointing audiobook). What a sweet little nephew, too :)

Becky said...

I was also disappointed in the audio books of the Percy Jackson series. I actually only attempted the first two on audio--checked out the same day--but I wasn't able to stick with them.

I can't wait to read your reviews on For Keeps and The Dead-Tossed Waves.

Abby said...

Chicagoland is so rich with wonderful libraries!! I'm quite happy where I'm at, but I will say that there are many, many wonderful libraries in Chicagoland! Glad you had a good trip, dear! Sorry you guys were sick. :(

Lisa said...

You know, my library is excellent AND has a coffee shop AND we have an USAF base (Ellsworth AFB). Jus' saying.