Saturday, April 10, 2010

Hours 1 and 2

Well we've started and I'm off to a pretty great start! Already have one book almost done, the donuts are consumed, and the coffee is still hot. This post is for Mini-Challenges 1 and 2.

As is tradition, we have the first hour kick-off meme:

Where are you reading from today? I'm reading from home, in Northern Virginia. The morning will be spent on my couch and I'll periodically move to our enclosed porch, as long as it gets a bit warmer outside! If not, I have 2 dogs to keep my toes warm.

3 facts about me … 1. As much as I try, I have a brown thumb, which will really be put to the test with a vegetable garden this year.

2. I was named after the small guitar, the mandolin (Amanda Lynn, get it?).

3. I am a huge Syracuse basketball fan.

How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours? I've named 8 that I plan to read, but may deviate from that pile and most likely will not finish 8 total. I just like to have choices.

Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)? I would love to finish the 8 books, that's definitely my goal. But even one is an accomplishment.

If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, Any advice for people doing this for the first time? Choose shorter, lighter books. Heavy subjects and long books are going to get you more tired quicker. And don't feel bad about not actually staying up the full 24 hours. I never have.

At Miss Remmer's Review, we also have Mini-Challenge 2, where we're being asked to write a post about our kick-off strategies. For me, as I've mentioned before, I always have Dunkin Donuts coffee and two donuts (which is a real treat), as my "kick-off" breakfast meal. I also typically start on my upstairs couch, which is in the room without a television, so as not to be distracted from the start. I have my pile next to me, my laptop somewhere nearby, and usually one dog at my side, the other on my toes.

I'm not big on caffeine, I try to drink as little as possible due to blood pressure issues, but the day definitely kicks off with a little. Throughout the rest of the challenge, I just stick with my usual water or iced tea, snacks, and try to move around a lot to keep myself interested. I don't think I've ever completed a readathon having read more than 8-10 hours total...I'm too guilt ridden at sitting down all day (especially today where it will be 70 and sunny). Lots of fun trying though!


Beth F said...

Enjoy your book now.
Don't forget to rest your eyes.
Look to next novel.

Haiku #1 inspired by Dawn @ She Is Too Fond of Books

Charlotte said...

Ammanda! That is cute. Did you ever try playing one?

I am now trying to think of other possible instrument names.

Claire Annette is rather nice...

Amanda said...

Charlotte, really my parents were just weird. My mom wanted to name me Audrey Rose after the possessed character in the Stephen King was that or the musical instrument. Guess Dad won. :)

Nise' said...

My son picked Syracuse to win this year! :o(

Enjoy the time you spend reading. It is supposed to warm up here today too. I just may have to get out there to read a bit.

Charlotte said...

I am sorry for the extra M that I put in your name in my first comment.

But I am glad for you that you were not named after a possessed Stephen King character!